Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Cooking Club Week 35: Baked Mackerel

• 30-08-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

Big fish fan here so going with something that i like to eat :D , sorry i dont have the time to come up with something more elaborate and ill try get some pictures up.

Feeds 2-4

Ingredients :

2-4 Mackerel
    1 Whole Garlic
    1 Onion
    1 Lemon
    Dried or crushed Chili ( Dont use if u dont want too)
    Olive Oil
    Parsley
    4-6 decent sized potatoes

Clean the fish firstly and sprinkle it with a little salt , place it on a plate and give it a small coating of the olive oil.

Slice the lemon and put a small slice into a slit about half way down the fish, again this is optional, but i do it. Stick it in the over for around 18-22 minutes at around 200 , preheated.

while the fish is in the oven chop the garlic cloves finely about 4-6 depending on how you like your garlic and peel and slice the spuds , and place them into a pan with a generous helping of olive oil ( around 7-8 Tbls ) add in the dried chilli ( if u want to ) and cook it on a medium heat , you will know its done when the garlic is gone golden, remove the chili at this point.

Put the sliced potatoes into a seperate frying pan with the chopped onion and some olive oil , try not make them too thin or they will just burn or too thick and they wont be on time with everything else, they should crisp up just nicely so keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly :p

Remove the fish from the oven and open them up, remove any bones u can see and the lemon, plate it up with a little of the sauce poured over and it the potato slices and onion and garnish with a little parsley.

handy to make and healthy enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

TechnoPool... just a question about the potato slices... should they all be in contact with the pan so that they brown up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

TechnoPool... just a question about the potato slices... should they all be in contact with the pan so that they brown up?

its kinda your preference pal, some of the folks in the house here like them browned up some like them golden and soft, depends who's cooking it really. Just keep an eye on them as they can go from done to burnt very fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

A wee bit confused do you fry the potatoes with the garlic and chili first and then put in a different pan with the onions ?

So I went ahead and gave it a bash. The potatoes are yummy, I did finish them off in the oven so they got brown on both sides.

The mackerel actually cooked in less than 10mins, so maybe mine where a little smaller than yours

Deffo the cheapest recipe so far only Eur2 for 2 mackerel.
    Thanks TechnoPool

2dgn67l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

yeah sorry i never got round to gettin picks up :rolleyes:

its not the prettiest plate of food in fairness but its helleuva lot tastier than it looks:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

So, TechnoPool, we had your recipe this evening. I got the mackerel in Tesco. They were "line caught" and at the counter they even filleted and topped and tailed them, yet only charged €2 for two. The backbone was still in, but this could be pulled out very easily by hand.

I've never had mackerel before and it certainly is a fish that is big in flavour. This is what is turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7269

Thank you!

Is that samphire, foodaholic?

Yeah little alex its samphire, where has it been all my life !!! Love it and its healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made this on Sunday. I didn't take a pic because it was fairly horrendous to look at. I was a bit rushed plus only had a little bit of tinfoil left so piled the fishes on top of each other and then they were stuck together when done. I broke them up trying to get them apart then :/ Still though, it was a delicious oul supper I must say. I normally pan fry me mackerdls but will do them this way again (obviously lay them out neatly next though).

it was fairly horrendous to look at.

it couldnt have looked any worse than mine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tara be

Looks good to me and it's Good Friday today. Am gonna give it a lash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this lovely meal tonight.

Very tasty and full of flavour.

CC-2010-35-Baked-Mackerel.jpg

It will be made again!

Advertisement