Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering if Music course is feasible in one year

Options
  • 30-08-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm going into 6th year tomorrow (oh joy) and I was wondering, is the Music course do-able in one year? I'll probably be doing Higher level. I have a large interest in music as I play bass and know a small amount of theory already, and I'll most likely be learning music theory on my own time anyway so I figure I might as well use it as a subject. I just read over the DoE Music Syllabus document and it all seems pretty over my head right now, but that's to be expected considering I've never even held a music schoolbook.

Also, is a teacher necessary? I won't be doing it in school, but I could get tutoring if I needed it. It's something I'm willing to work at because it's actually useful to me, unlike most of the garbage we learn in other subjects. If I do go ahead with Music it will be taking the place of Biology, which I am very unprepared for.

I know there's always the thought that "You can do anything in a year if you work hard enough" but I'd like any advice to be realistic, considering that there are other subjects that also need my time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I doubt it. My friend is like a grade 8 and has been playing violin since she was 5 or something and they were reluctant to let her in in 5th. Its a hard course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pixelperfect

I doubt it. My friend is like a grade 8 and has been playing violin since she was 5 or something and they were reluctant to let her in in 5th. Its a hard course.

I know a person in my school that did it this year and did well. He also plays bass, and God he is awful, but they let him do it no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

I did music with this year in one year and came out with a B1 with minimal effort. That said I have done grade 5 theory and sang all my life so that was a big help.

You will definately need help with the composition you wont be able to teach yourself that. I got 7ish classes and then just practiced it and it was fine. Theres method to it and its kind of like maths.

The listening paper isnt bad at all. I hadnt heard some of the pieces before the exam and still got on fine and there was very little i couldnt answer. If you have a musical ear its easy enough just look at the exam papers.

The practical expects a high standard and it can be worth 50% so alot of practice is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I did music in a year. Only got a C3 cause I played metal for my practical (being appealed) but the theory side of things is fine for 1 year. However if you've no experience with an instrument then I wouldn't reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ToodlyWoodly

Heya! I did my LC in 2008 and just took up Music in 6th year. I got a B3 in it. Parts of it are hard, I'm not gonna lie. The advantage of the course being that its 50% practical. My piano teacher did the course with me cause he was a secondary school music teacher. I'd definately advise getting someone to teach you the course. But yes it is possible!! Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Its definitely possible, but the written papers are not all that easy without help. You will definitely need some grinds or tutoring to do well, even with the practical side being 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

It's very do-able if you're good at music. I got a B2 with little enough work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 busfare_home

If you give it socks you could easily get a good grade. It's more about understanding what's going on that knowing facts about pieces.

You'd find it hard to do it alone, especially as regards the composing paper, I'd recommend a tutor or grinds for at least the first few months, if not the whole year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pixelperfect

Thanks fellas I'm going to go ahead with it. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to do well in it, I have lots of experience with music

Advertisement