Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rendering external garden block wall

Options
  • 30-08-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm in the process of doing up the garden at the moment and I would like to render my external garden walls so that I can paint them.
    40457_428679248404_625123404_4794387_7522530_n.jpg

The thought of a bit more a finish is very appealing.

Everyone I've asked about plastering the walls has shied away from it like a skittish horse. I am fully aware that plastering is a highly skilled job but was wondering if it was possible for an external garden wall without too much experience?

The cost is the main reason that I am thinking of trying to plaster them myself as someone mentioned that it would be about 500euro to get the walls plastered (2 x 10m wall and 1 x 5m wall). It's a huge amount of money and one I just couldn't afford right now with all the outgoings I have with the garden.

I've searched through the forum to see if there are any "how to" threads but can't find them or they're not there. I see a lot of mentions of scudding the walls.

In terms of experience, I've done the footings, foundations and built the shed base and the walls for the garden with the help of friends and family. I've access to a cement mixer.

Looking for a basic "yes, possible", "no, are you out of mind" thoughts from more experienced folk and / or basic steps necessary.

Would be very grateful for any help.

HE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

This might be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Firstly, the blockwork is possibly terrible in the walls so they would possiby take alot of straightening - maybe the reason some people ran away from them.
    I would say yes it is possible to plaster them yourself however if not experienced, it is highly likely that they will look terrible when finished. They will kinda look like they were done with the back of a shovel specially when the sun hits them the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Hello, Like what your doing, looks good. Please continue the good work. To start with clear the area beside each wall to allow for ease of work. Mix 1 sand to 1 cement. The mixer you are using will hold approx 20 full shovels 0f sand so dump in 2 25kg bags of cement, mix to a runny orange juice. consistency. Pour half of the mix into barrow use a rough brush to splash on or better still a scudding towel. Splash on at 90 Degrees, hard onto wall. Please use safety goggles, gloves, also cover important belongings. Get someone to hold cardboard on tops of walls and around windows, so as not to dirty these areas. Make sure you cover all areas with scudding. Leave for seven days. Next mix at 6 sand to 1 lime 1 cement to a consistency of custard. One coat will do for this, apply in layers, try to get a coat of 12mm. Press in hard with trowel. Use a 1200mm 100mmx12mm board to straighten with. Don,t worry about how straight it is it will look great when finished. Have light covers to place over wall in case of rain. Start early in the morning, so as to allow for setting, have lights on standby. Use old plastic float to rub up, or sponge. It will look great when finished. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks for the advice guys,

@PaleRider - this is a more up to date photo, the plan is to have the lawn reaching to the edge of walls so they're "retaining walls" so that the path will drop away but the lawn will stay level. If it turns out half as well as the picture in my head I'll be thrilled!

47940_433114213404_625123404_4899639_1143729_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

It,s great what your doing. Gardening is a great hobby, looking forward to finished job. I know it will look great. Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement