Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get an A in higher level Chemistry in one year?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm repeating the leaving (yay) and I am taking up Chemistry this yaer..is it possible I can get a higher level A in it?..I was thinking of applying for Pharmacy in University of Ulster next year and its a requirement..just need to know if its possible and if it been done because if its not theres no point in applying sure..:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I took up chemistry in January of 5th year, so I had a year and a half of it, and got an A1, so it is possible I'd say. It will require a lot of work though. Just do all the past questions over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

it would be possible if you are willing to put in the amount of time needed:) i did the course over two years and got an A1 in the lc but i did most of the work in 6th year. what i found really helped me was doing all of the exam papers over and over again as they do repeat! the month before the lc i put away my book and just did question!! my teacher was shocking at teaching the subject but the one thing she was good for was giving us past mock papers. there is also a really good book out called EXAM EDGE, it has all the past exam papers done out and tips on where marks can be lost or gained:)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Took it up in October of 6th year, got an A2. Woo! Didn't even require THAT much work. (Although obviously still quite a lot.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Chemistry is lovely.. if you understand it and get lucky with what comes up on the paper. I would imagine an A1 is possible in one year.. especially if you are repeating and that other subjects are just revision of revision of revision for u. All the best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

yes defo, the course is complikcated but it's rather short i thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its definitely possible, my 5th year teacher was the worst teacher I've ever seen, he was retiring after that year so after a few months (and about 3 chapters) he decided to sit back and do nothing, that our leaving cert could do the rest with us. If you put in the work its definitely possible and the paper is fairly predictable. Just make sure you have the chance to do all the experiments you need to do in the year in your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It WAS fairly predictable until that ****ter of a paper they put up last year, I'd say they're going for the whole unorthodox approach to the subject which doesn't help as half the country only learn 10 experiments and hope for the best.

OP, if you have a good teacher and you like it, yes you will get an A, but there are FAR easier subjects out there (such as Business) which would take up way less time and you'd be dependant only on yourself, (of course assuming Chemistry isn't a requirement for your course)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

If you work hard and don't let yourself fall behind for even a second then it's possible. But if taking up a different subject is an option I would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Chemistry is one of the shortest LC courses, the problem isn't getting it covered, it's understanding the concepts, rote learning will only get you so far. If you have a good aptitude for science, a head for remembering very specific names and spellings, and are willing to put in the work, then it's very possible to get an A in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

Thank yu!:D...started this week and it seems ok, not as difficualt as I thought it would be (albeit still kinda hard..)..we'll see how the year goes I guess..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Good luck!

Advertisement