Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I decided to upgrade my pc but then I decided I would try to overclock my processor first to see if there was an improvement.

The thing is I'm a complete noob in this area and I can't seem to find any basic instructions on the net.
    I installed CPU-Z and then AMD overdrive only to find it only works with 7 series AMD processors.

I then found a fairly loose overclocking tutorial but my bios menus appear to be completely different to what it displayed

I have a MSI MB, the processor in question and a couple of gigs of ram plus an nvidia Ge force 7600 GS.

I read somewhere I could overclock from 1.81ghz to almost 2.5ghz anyway if anybody can help or give me some pointers I'd appreciate it cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

You have to do it from the bios I think, and with this one i think it is near max at stock. I got one to go from 2.9ghx to 3.17 and I think that is all it would do stable. Could be wrong as it was a while ago and maybe a different processor.

I think the multiplier on these is 15, and the FSB is 200, I have mine at 211.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I had one of these years ago! :D

"3000+" is the model number, not the frequency! :o In this case the stock speed is 2GHz (200MHz bus x10 mult) :) JG009's is now at 2.11GHz, the same as a 3.16GHz Pentium 4 if you believe AMD's claims :p

OCing is done through the BIOS... so long as it gives you the facility to change the bus speed :o Otherwise... :( MSI usually hides their OC options in the "Cell Menu" ;) In there you can increase the bus speed (the change in CPU speed is ten times the change you make to the bus speed! :o). Some mobos give you the option to increase the CPU voltage to improve stability, but bear in mind doing so greatly increases power usage and thus heat output! Only resort to this when the system becomes unstable, and don't go above ~1.6V or you'll start to reduce the lifespan or even destroy the CPU! :eek:

Bear in mind that increasing bus speed doesn't just make the CPU run faster, it also makes the mobo and RAM faster too! :o:o You can protect against RAM-based stability issues by hunting down an option to change the memory divider so that the memory is forced to run slower. On the other hand, while you can increase the chipset voltage slightly on some models many cheaper S754 mobos will become unstable once the FSB goes past 220MHz due to issues with the other onboard devices being OC'd against their will! :(

Generally from what I've heard there isn't much overhead on the 3000+ either - some people were able to close in on 2.5GHz but 2.2-2.3 is a more common story :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I must have a completely different processor in mind then! It shows as 3.17 in cpuz whatever it is. I know it wont go further : (

Advertisement