Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackening on edge of bayonet?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I picked up a bayonet at the salute militaria show this weekend, a nice east-german model for a kalashnikov. (I don't know if it is a reproduction)

The thing is blunt but I notice that the cutting edge is blackened compared to the shiny steel, is this to show its blunt? Some sort of marking to show it hasn't been sharpened from factory? Or a preservation for the edge?

I noticed it on the sharp side and wire cutting edge, thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

uploading pictures would be the best bet of an answer
    (better pics than mine :o)

somthing like this?
    IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg

mine was made in Izhevsk, (seen by the arrow pointing upward in a triangle)
    found it in a shed a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Mine is an East German example,

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/9/4/5/4/5/webimg/386116155_o.jpg

Thats the same model.

The cutting edge has a blackening to it not seen there, like if you went over it with a marker.

I wonder if it is from factory, from being blunted, or some sort of edge treatment, I rubbed it off the edge before thinking it through, but I guess it is a factory marking to show it hasn't been sharpened? The east german bayos seem common enough though and I didn't pay too much for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

There was stocks of these East German bayonets converted for use on the G36 assault rifle for the German Army,the one in the picture doesn't look like it has the conversion done.As far as the black mark on the blade,most likely a factory mark, as you say to show it not having been sharpened.I have two different versions to these ones,one been the AK 47 East German first model and the other a Polish version which look like totally different knife's to the ones pictured,the blades on these are brand new,one appears to be quite sharp and the other blunt,guess it's down to different makers .The model you have is an AKM Type II.

The serials on the knife and the sheath match and are in the high 200,000's, and are engraved rather than moulded in.

On the Sheath moulded in is 1946/02, I wonder what that means?

Type 2, as designed in 1946? I know that the AK47 pattern was a prototype by 1946 as such the pattern of bayonet may have been designed at the same time and be what 1946 means, as I doubt it would have been made in 1946.

• Advertisement

Definitely AKM type 2, still for use with AKM as far as I can see.

I seem to have payed a reasonable price for it too compared to those sites.

Thanks.

Advertisement