Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup not listening to me!!!

Options
  • 29-08-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

need advice yet again!! Elmo my 4month old pup is a great lil guy and is so well behaved and learnes things really quick, he is toilet trained,can sit, paw lie down ect. but there is one thing he is just not getting and thats DOWN, he is always jumping up on to the couch!! any advice on how to get him to understand that he is not allowed up on the couch!! i hate having to give out to him!! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does he have a bed in the same room as the couch? If so show him a treat, lead him into his bed and loads of praise, repeat a few times and add the command eg go to bed. Now when he gets on the couch get him to go to his own leaba ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

gonna get flamed for this - but what about a few nose slaps and firm disclaimers 'NO' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 soph!

his bed is in the same room, he loves his bed but is obsessed with being up on the couch! Did the whole treat thing and dosnt seem to be working. I hate having to give out to him for being up there, but really dont want him up there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sligopark wrote: »
    gonna get flamed for this - but what about a few nose slaps and firm disclaimers 'NO' ?

Why would you suggest using violence to train a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

soph! wrote: »
    his bed is in the same room, he loves his bed but is obsessed with being up on the couch! Did the whole treat thing and dosnt seem to be working. I hate having to give out to him for being up there, but really dont want him up there

Well then keeping picking him up and saying down! Put him outside if he doesn't listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why would you suggest using violence to train a dog?

hardly violence in all fairness, a bit harsh.

nothing wrong with a tap on the nose when a dog is not listining or grasping what your teaching them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Absol do not do this!!!

You are asking for trouble and could make the dog aggressive and lash out for being hit so theres no need to hit a dog for anything.

It just repetition. Try and keep some treats in your pockets and when you ask the dog to get down, reward him when he gets off the couch. He'll cath on soon enough. Hes still a puppy so just takes time and patience.

not into hitting dogs there has to be a better way to teach them!! will try the treats thing and see how that gos, i know he is still a pup so will take patience on my part, its just he learned everything else really fast. Thanx

fair enough
    andreac wrote: »
    Hes still a puppy so just takes time and patience.

but what about correction and discipline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There may be a very simple reason and solution for this.

What command do you give the dog to make it lie down? Or to sit? A lot of people say lie down or sit down. Then, when the dog is on the couch, they say down, and the doesn't get off, because it thinks its doing exactly what its been told to do:D

Remove the dog by saying off, and lots of reinforcement and positive rewards when the dog does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

fair enough

but what about correction and discipline?

Correction and discipline does not involve hitting or slapping a dog, end of.

now i feel very silly, will change my command to OFF and hopfully that will work thanks ISDW :)

andreac wrote: »
    Correction and discipline does not involve hitting or slapping a dog, end of.

fair enough - thank you

a tap on the nose is not hitting lads come on.

if a dog does well you give him a treat so if a dog does bad you give him a tap just like any child who acts up, there parents have the right to give them a clip round the owl ear

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

a tap on the nose is not hitting lads come on.

if a dog does well you give him a treat so if a dog does bad you give him a tap just like any child who acts up, there parents have the right to give them a clip round the owl ear
    your only going to associate the human hand with fear and fearfull dogs bite. so when a child goes to pet the dog the do could take this little hand as a slap and the kid could recieve a bite. thats not the dogs fault its the owner if this happens

true, never taught about it like that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

never EVER EVER tap a dog on the dog or use any sort of violence to train a dog.

Positive commands and reinforcment should be used ALWAYS. This is the basic rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

soph! wrote: »
    need advice yet again!! Elmo my 4month old pup is a great lil guy and is so well behaved and learnes things really quick, he is toilet trained,can sit, paw lie down ect. but there is one thing he is just not getting and thats DOWN, he is always jumping up on to the couch!! any advice on how to get him to understand that he is not allowed up on the couch!! i hate having to give out to him!! thanks

Dont streess too much... your little puppy sounds pretty well behaved apart from the couch thing!

Did i read that his bed in the same room?? If so maybe during the night he jumps up there the odd time for a snooze?? This maybe confusing him a bit.

Just remember puppies try their luck ... when my cocker was a pup, he was a tryer.... he was great on the toilet training, paw etc... but the couch thing took months!! Be persisstent, he will learn.

PLEASE NEVER TAP HIS NOSE ETC...def the wrong thing to do...

Have you thought of giving him a kong in his bed etc?? They may help him not wanting to get up on the couch etc...

Best of luck and post a pic of your little guy! :D

Advertisement