Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grads/Debs question

Options
  • 29-08-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Tie for the grads/debs. Is this acceptable/common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah, seen loads wearing them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Is this a serious thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I hope so...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

As opposed to...a bow tie? I thought most people would wear ties, they did at my grad anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always hated the sight of bow-ties or "dicky-bows". A tie looks better and is very acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Just making sure.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

yeah a tie is grand
    but make sure it doesn't clash with your date's outfit
    so I would find out what colour your date wants it to be!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hmm, not to thread hijack but.

I'm wearing a narrow tie, as opposed to a wide tie normally worn with suits. Is this normal? In nearly all of the pictures I have seen, they have been wide ties. I've only ever seen a few narrow ties, and this was always with the jacket open, for some bizzare reason. A few of my friends are wearing narrow ties this year, so hopefully it's ok! I'm wearing a suit and not a tux, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

any tie will nearly do like - just ask for a tie for a debs and you'll be grand - just get the colour your date asks for and nothing else you can do..

after the few photos at her house chances are she'll end up taking it off you and wearing it around the place when she gets a few shots of tequila into herself..

a tie is perfect and most people will probably wear a tie from where I'm from but I do know in other schools dicky bows are more popular but ties are still always fully acceptable..

tie is grand man narrow or broad - don't sweat it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Narrow ties look a little too untidy/informal IMO. I'd go for a wider one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Narrow ties look a little too untidy/informal IMO. I'd go for a wider one.

Course you would! :p

Liveit wrote: »
    Course you would! :p

Nothing wrong with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Tie that matches the girls dress

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Tie that matches the girls dress

Jaysus I'll need a very wide tie so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Waaay better than dicky bows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Dear God don't match. As a girl I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

zam wrote: »

:P that's not fair trying to get the poor guy shot by his dare :P:P

Easiest way to make sure you don't clash. Also handy for finding your date in a drunken haze... :pac:

Yeah but it's so......... co-ordinated :P

It's kinda meant to be :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I believe that's the point :P
    And it looks better when the girl steals the tie later on in the night

I'm a fan of the classic black. Classic for a reason...

I wanted all black with a red tie... but then my date let me down at the last minute so now I'm going with another girl, who said she'll more than likely be wearing green. Black + green isn't going to work I don't think... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

I wanted all black with a red tie... but then my date let me down at the last minute so now I'm going with another girl, who said she'll more than likely be wearing green. Black + green isn't going to work I don't think... :o

aw that sucks:( most boys wear black, don't worry it'll be fine with the green:) are you wearing a white shirt?

i like pie wrote: »
    aw that sucks:( most boys wear black, don't worry it'll be fine with the green:) are you wearing a white shirt?

That's what I meant, a black shirt with red tie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My friend wore a black tie when his date was wearing a green dress the other night - it looked fine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Do not wear a black tie with a white shirt, black tie with black shirt actually looks really good and would go with whatever colour the girl is wearing but black tie with white shirt looks a bit like what you'd wear to a funeral. Sorry. :o Silver tie with black shirt is another pretty neutral colour.
    Don't worry about not being completely matching, after the photos nobody will even notice. It is handy when your looking around at people arriving and your wondering who brought who though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

You're all lucky that I'm here, being an expert in the Debs and Debs fashion...

....Not really. I'm not going to my debs, but I had a decent enough time at my grad. Best advice is...just wear a black shirt and slacks. You won't go wrong.

Then again, I have no taste by today's measure of it!

Advertisement