Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course is best for me?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Doing 7 subjects, french (h), english (h), maths (o), geography (h), business (h), irish (o), economics (h)

also doing lcvp but might drop it
    have my ecdl completed

wana do something in computers. like the look of the computer science course in ucd, but u need a science subject to apply, i don't have one. then computer applications in dcu, but thats a long enough journey every day. living in shankill.

does anyone have any advice to offer on what good computer courses there are out there? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

I met someone in UCD once who was doing Comp Sci through arts? Maybe you could check that out?
    Might not be the same course though, I dunno! But worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Nobody can tell you the course best suited for you. You're only going into 6th year so I'm presuming you have yet to talk to your guidance teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

The fact that you didn't pick any science subjects could be a draw back if you want to do computer science...

but before doing computer science or anything along that lines make sure you know what your getting yourself into - just because your class on MS Word or your a kingpin playing COD4 or something like that doens't mean your gonna like computer science...

the courses tend to have high drop out rates and it requires a lot of work to do well and most people who get employment after do a lot of work on their own outside of class to build up a portfolio

just look into it a bit more and ask anyone you might know who's doing any of the computer science courses

I'm starting into enterprise computing in DCU this year - maybe that might be worth a look - i seen you have business and economics and enterprise computing is a computer degree with business elements or a business degree with computer elements ;) might be worth a look as it sounds it might be down your road

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

your guidance councellor will find a load of courses that you can go for when you tell them what your interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

COD4? Are you like 50 years old it's CLEARLY Modern Warfare 2 at this stage or CoD6...noob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Computer Science can be very theory filled.
    I have heard good things about Computer Applications in DCU as a course, even from other colleges. But again, SO many people rush into Computer courses not realizing how much there is too it, Understanding the hardware, being able to put it together, programming, Web Design, Maths.
    ECDL means nothing in terms of computing.
    Go look at the course websites in a lot of detail, check what the subjects are and whats covered in each.
    I also suggest you look at the careers direction site and do the quiz that suggests career paths suited to you here.

Also look into lots of courses of different types. Plenty revolve around computers even if it isn't in the name. For example I do Multimedia but still have classes in Web Design and Programming, and spend all my time in front of a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Why would u need Physics Chemistry or Biology for Computer Science? You sure they dont mean Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I never knew you had to have a science subject as a requirement in the leaving cert for a computer science course thought that only applied to strict scientific courses and nursing etc.

I had considered applying for a computer science course as a degree. I never put it down as part of my CAO either. It was the maths that put me off really. I never picked a science subject for my leaving, only ones nearest to a science subject I did were geography and home economics. I'd suggest you check all your options which science subject to go for. I'd recommend the biology I had thought about doing that but did Home ec instead. I did LCVP, I thought it was a good help though as a back up in terms of results. Physics might be a better option that might help you in a computing course but do what you feel is best.

If you wish to stick with your current option subjects for your leaving cert, I am sure there are some computing courses around the country where you don't need a science subject in the Leaving. Have you looked at the Institutes of Technologies?

A suitable course might be a business informatics one where you don't need a science option subject in the leaving. You have economics as an option so that should cover you. There are a few if you be interested in them. Business Information Systems or courses similar might be of interest for you. I did a similar course to to that but was more business than IT. I did a h dip in computing then afterwards. Have you looked at Fetac and PLC courses?

All the best OP

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Keano! wrote: »
    Doing 7 subjects, french (h), english (h), maths (o), geography (h), business (h), irish (o), economics (h)

also doing lcvp but might drop it
    have my ecdl completed

wana do something in computers. like the look of the computer science course in ucd, but u need a science subject to apply, i don't have one. then computer applications in dcu, but thats a long enough journey every day. living in shankill.

does anyone have any advice to offer on what good computer courses there are out there? thanks

As far as I know geography counts as a science subject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

As far as I know geography counts as a science subject
    Not all colleges recognize it as one though, a lot only accept laboratory science subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

COD4? Are you like 50 years old it's CLEARLY Modern Warfare 2 at this stage or CoD6...noob!

Oh please, no need to talk about broken things that will cause one to break everything.

On topic. This might help you to see what it is you're interested in.

Also, the requirements for CS in UCD are;
    Irish, English, Mathematics**, One laboratory science subject, Two other recognised subjects.

**Minimum Grade B3 LC Ordinary Level/ D3 LC Higher Level.

Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including those shown above, of which two must be minimum HC3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

maybe business and computing in tcd??????

Advertisement