Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead badgers on the roads.

Options
  • 29-08-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I live in Meath, and I've noticed over the past while that there seem to be lots of dead badgers on the roads lately. Over the past two weeks I've seen 7 or 8 on my local roads, and they are big dudes too.

Has there bene an increase in badger populations, or there some reason why so many seem to be appearing dead on roads?
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I don't really know - it could be the time of year with younger ones looking for new territories. Eithier way its a pretty depressing sight, no doubt made worse by the number of "boy racers" who seem to take over many roads at night and appear to be untroubled by our lazy Garda Traffic Corps:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

With all the new roads (M4 goes thro' Meath, I think:o), alot of Badgers either have had their setts destroyed or the new roads are going through their home ranges. The new central medians are now solid conctrete and are high often trapping badgers as they run across the motorway. A death trap for badgers.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've been driving 30-35k per year in the midlands/border region for a good few years and always see loads of dead badgers - but can't say I've noticed an increase this year compared to other years.

With all the new roads (M4 goes thro' Meath, I think:o), alot of Badgers either have had their setts destroyed or the new roads are going through their home ranges. The new central medians are now solid conctrete and are high often trapping badgers as they run across the motorway. A death trap for badgers.:mad::mad::mad:

Add to that the fact that unlike virtually every other modern European country, the likes of the NRA have never heard of the concept of "wildlife underpasses":mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I have seen quite a few dead badgers on the roads in town, My friend knows someone who ran over a couple and appears to think it's a joke. People like that are disgusting.
    As an animal lover I always feel sad when I see a dead badger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

And not to hijack the thread, but dead hedgehogs, too. A friend of mine saw some (an adult and its baby) being run over by this heartless driver. He could see them, how could the driver not?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Add to that the fact that unlike virtually every other modern European country, the likes of the NRA have never heard of the concept of "wildlife underpasses":mad::mad:

Fact?

NRA guidelines for treatment of badgers:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/Environment/file,3491,en.pdf

NRA guidelines for treatment of otters:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/Environment/file,5147,en.pdf

More here: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/Environment/

Plenty of things to be mad about but that's not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

And not to hijack the thread, but dead hedgehogs, too. A friend of mine saw some (an adult and its baby) being run over by this heartless driver. He could see them, how could the driver not?

If someone deliberately did this, ie you witnessed them swerving to hit the animals, could they be liable for prosecution under the wildlife act? I know it would be hard to prove, they would claim it wasn't deliberate, but it would be your word against theirs. I'm always amazed/saddened that so many animals get run over on low speed limit roads where the driver should have been slow enough to avoid them. I'm convinced a lot of drivers are either deliberately hitting animals or else half blind. I've never had a problem being able to avoid hedgehogs and badgers on the road at night, and I am not a slow driver. Its different with foxes, deer and hares which have a bad habit of leaping in front of you, but hedgehogs and badgers are easy to avoid.

To go back to the OP's query, a lot of the dead badgers I'm seeing at the moment are young animals, maybe its inexperience or inquisitiveness thats getting them killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for the replies, maybe it is indeed younger ones being pushed out of their homes with the new roads.

I've lived in Meath for 7 years now, and this is the first year its been so noticable, normally I'd see one or two a year, but nowhere near as many as lately.
    Sad to see them getting killed like this.

. I'm convinced a lot of drivers are either deliberately hitting animals or else half blind. I've never had a problem being able to avoid hedgehogs and badgers on the road at night, and I am not a slow driver. Its different with foxes, deer and hares which have a bad habit of leaping in front of you, but hedgehogs and badgers are easy to avoid.

?

There's no doubt about it - alot of sick/cruel people out there. Those boy racers alone I'd say have a fare bit of blood on their hands. They've no respect for man or beast. I will recount an expericance I had a few years ago later to back up my assertions:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fact?

Plenty of things to be mad about but that's not one of them.
    they have guidelines - are they followed?
    genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I too get upset seeing dead wildlife on roads and as for people deliberately doing it, it makes my blood boil. <SNIP> I really hate seeing dead animals/wildlife on the roads and it's made all the more upsetting when it's deliberate and could be avoided. Just my tuppence worth but I do feel very strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

I feel sad too, anytime I see a fox, badger, dog or cat dead on the road. But it could be just as dangerous attempting to avoid an animal too. You swerve too quickly, even at 80kph, you could run the risk of rolling your car, going off the road, or going into oncoming traffic.

Lots of these animals are active at night. Sometimes I wonder if some of these single-car accidents at night could have been caused by animals on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Birdnuts wrote: »
    they have guidelines - are they followed?
    genuine question.

Artificial setts are built and badgers are relocated. Here are a few photos of a mammal tunnel under the M8 I took just last week. It is heavily trafficked by both foxes and badgers:

DSCF3319.jpg

Unfortunately it's hard to see, but there are many fox and badger footprints in and around the mouth of the tunnel. There is also a path leading from a nearby field towards it:

DSCF3316.jpg

Here's the view inside the tunnel - and no, I didn't stick my head into it, just the camera:

DSCF3317.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

If someone deliberately did this, ie you witnessed them swerving to hit the animals, could they be liable for prosecution under the wildlife act? I know it would be hard to prove, they would claim it wasn't deliberate, but it would be your word against theirs. I'm always amazed/saddened that so many animals get run over on low speed limit roads where the driver should have been slow enough to avoid them. I'm convinced a lot of drivers are either deliberately hitting animals or else half blind. I've never had a problem being able to avoid hedgehogs and badgers on the road at night, and I am not a slow driver. Its different with foxes, deer and hares which have a bad habit of leaping in front of you, but hedgehogs and badgers are easy to avoid.

There wouldn't be much hope of that. My friend was too concerned about the hedgehogs to get the number. He couldn't even tell me the make of car.

Advertisement