Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The competitive battling thread

Options
  • 29-08-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Use this thread to discuss the competitive game.
    People can help you with your teams and what changes you can make.
    You can also use this to request battles with other players using Wi-fi, shoddy, PO etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Thinking about EV training my Flygon. Never done it before, so I'm sure it will be hard. =(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Are you gonna use berries to lower it's EVs down to 0 or are you breeding? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

Defo have to breed. You need it to be lvl 1 with the right nature and if one of its 4 moves are egg moves then that makes it easier. You'll want to feed it 10 'drugs' first of all to raise the base stat for a certain stat straight from 0 to 100. If it has a power item or pokerus then even better.
    Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I'm going to use spoiler tags so that those that understand EVs/IVs don't have to read the whole post :)
    Thinking about EV training my Flygon. Never done it before, so I'm sure it will be hard. =(
    It's not as hard as people make it out to be, just time consuming
    Defo have to breed. You need it to be lvl 1 with the right nature and if one of its 4 moves are egg moves then that makes it easier.

Don't have to breed, but it will help to get the best IVs.
    IVs: Stands for Individual Values. These are the hidden values that give you good stats. They range from 0-31, and can never be changed once set in-game. IVs are set when you meet the Pokémon in the Wild, or receive a Pokémon in an Egg. Pokémon with good/great IVs have a better chance of breeding a good/great/brilliant IV baby. Think of IVs are the building blocks of stats, strong IVs equal strong stats.

Egg moves have nothing to do with EV training, they are just moves
    You'll want to feed it 10 'drugs' first of all to raise the base stat for a certain stat straight from 0 to 100.
    Unless you are putting EVs in every stat don't bother wasting time and in-game money on the "drugs".
    EVs: Stands for Effort Values, sometimes called EP or Effort Points. This is the actual "effort" you have to put into the training. Effort Values are gained by fighting wild Pokémon, feeding "drugs" or in-game trainer battles. Effort Values are removed by using Berries that have the description "Makes a Pokémon friendly but lowers the X stat" (can't remember their names, sorry :()
    Each Pokémon can use a pool of 510 EVs to boost it's stats, but can only use a max of 255 in each stat (that's just how the game works). 4 Effort Points gained equals +1 to that stat on level up.
    Drugs will only give a max of 100 EVs to any one stat, the rest will have to be trained

Think of what you want to achieve with the Pokémon you want before you start. This will help save hours of in-game wasted training the wrong stat. There's no point in raising the Attack stat if you are training a Special Attacker...

to buy 10 of one 'drug' costs just 10 BP, which is nothing really

one stat will always be over 100 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I have a EV trained shiny flygon (legit, hatched it myself) for competitive play and he's probably the poorest performer on my team. It mightn't be worth your time, despite how cool he is.

Also, Champion Gold, any reason you're writing in red?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Well, I'm rebuilding half my team. Gallade, Typhlosion and Luxray being replaced with Espeon, Blaziken and a Luxray that I'm going to train properly this time. All being bred to the correct nature and EV trained. If I put the work in, the new team should be ready by the Eirtakon tournament.

Anyway, little help. Need a moveset for my Espeon. It's being EV trained to max out Sp.Atk, so Psychic and Psybeam are in. Any ideas for the other 2 spaces? I've been toying with the idea of a Hyper Beam, since it's Special and will end pretty much anything if I do this right, and it'd be an excellent finisher in tournament play. But there's still the last spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Grass Knot or Shadow Ball for Espeon? Also Calm Mind but it's so fragile it may never get the chance to use it. You don't really need 2 strong Psychic moves so if it was me I'd drop Psybeam, the 10% chance of confusion isn't that useful.

I've got a single and a double battle team that I'm pretty happy with so I'm done with competitive training until Black and White.

Yeah Psybeam is a waste. As elekid said Shadow Ball is a good one. Toxic never hurts as well.

Thomas-G wrote: »
    I have a EV trained shiny flygon (legit, hatched it myself) for competitive play and he's probably the poorest performer on my team. It mightn't be worth your time, despite how cool he is.

Also, Champion Gold, any reason you're writing in red?

Really? Well, what would you recommend then?

And that's just his colour.xD He uses it everywhere

• Advertisement

Really? Well, what would you recommend then?

And that's just his colour.xD He uses it everywhere

Erm that's pretty ambiguous, I mean what is your team missing, what are it's weakness's? Do you need a sweeper, tank etc.? Smogon is probably your best choice for advice

elekid wrote: »
    Grass Knot or Shadow Ball for Espeon? Also Calm Mind but it's so fragile it may never get the chance to use it. You don't really need 2 strong Psychic moves so if it was me I'd drop Psybeam, the 10% chance of confusion isn't that useful

Grass Knot is interesting. My Glaceon knows Shadow Ball, and her Sp.Atk is through the roof. I suppose they could both learn it.
    Yeah, the confusion was a hope. Swagger could do it, but that's a two edged sword.

Urizen wrote: »
    Well, I'm rebuilding half my team. Gallade, Typhlosion and Luxray being replaced with Espeon, Blaziken and a Luxray that I'm going to train properly this time. All being bred to the correct nature and EV trained. If I put the work in, the new team should be ready by the Eirtakon tournament.

Anyway, little help. Need a moveset for my Espeon. It's being EV trained to max out Sp.Atk, so Psychic and Psybeam are in. Any ideas for the other 2 spaces? I've been toying with the idea of a Hyper Beam, since it's Special and will end pretty much anything if I do this right, and it'd be an excellent finisher in tournament play. But there's still the last spot.

i take it that it has a modest nature? if you're goin down the spec. sweeper road, you'll need modest nature as espeon is frail. one un-STABed crunch would probably OHKO it from a powerful attacker or choice bander, especially if you have already received stealth rock damage. i would recommend signal beam to take care of dark types. keep psychic. i believe whoever suggested grass knot is corrrect. for the final slot, a status inducer is always helpful. toxic could prove to be very good.

i take it that it has a modest nature? if you're goin down the spec. sweeper road, you'll need modest nature as espeon is frail. one un-STABed crunch would probably OHKO it from a powerful attacker or choice bander, especially if you have already received stealth rock damage. i would recommend signal beam to take care of dark types. keep psychic. i believe whoever suggested grass knot is corrrect. for the final slot, a status inducer is always helpful. toxic could prove to be very good.

No, I went with Timid actually. Figure that it'll be fast enough to get one hit in, at least. EVing it for the high Sp. Stk. My Glaceon is Modest though, that's why I've been using her for Shadow Ball.

Signal Beam is a good one. Take out Darks and other Psychics. Only problem with it is that I'd have to somehow get 40BP. I just don't have the patience for that. Frontier really annoys me. WAY too slow going. That said, I could evolve it in SS, then trade to Platinum and get it there for shards.

Yeah, I bought a DS Lite in addition to my DSi XL. For Pal Park and trading with myself, and for travelling. I have officially crossed a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

I have a question one of you dudes might be able to help me with...okay

For example...If I'm EV training my Blastoise for HP and i have a Butterfree in my party holding exp. share and I K.O Muk does the Butterfree gain 2 EVs, 1 EV(ie. EV's are split) or 0 EV's?

I had read somewhere that EV's are distributed only to the pokémon who knocked out the opposing pokémon...
    but i read something on smogon last night that made me seriously doubt myself here.
    Any help would be very much appreciated thank you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

A Pokémon holding the Exp. Share receives the same amount of EVs as the Pokémon that actually battled, even if the Pokémon that battled has maxed out their EVs.

As such, it means you can use an Exp. Share to EV-train two Pokémon at the same time.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    A Pokémon holding the Exp. Share receives the same amount of EVs as the Pokémon that actually battled, even if the Pokémon that battled has maxed out their EVs.

As such, it means you can use an Exp. Share to EV-train two Pokémon at the same time.
    Thanks bro but...
    I was afraid of that(even tho i'll be abusing it from right about......now)
    Time to grow some more EV deleters

Edit:If the lead pokemon is holding a power item does the exp. share pokemon get 1 or 5 EV's?

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Erm that's pretty ambiguous, I mean what is your team missing, what are it's weakness's? Do you need a sweeper, tank etc.? Smogon is probably your best choice for advice

Sorry, it's not for CB'ing at all. I just wanted an EV trained 'mon just to have. One that was strong and looked...cool. 8)

popzmaster wrote: »
    Thanks bro but...
    I was afraid of that(even tho i'll be abusing it from right about......now)
    Time to grow some more EV deleters

Edit:If the lead pokemon is holding a power item does the exp. share pokemon get 1 or 5 EV's?

power item doubles EVs

eg. if you are raising a mon to get defense EVs, defeating a geodude will give you 1 EV in defense. If the pokemon holds the required power item, it will receive 2.

power item doubles EVs

eg. if you are raising a mon to get defense EVs, defeating a geodude will give you 1 EV in defense. If the pokemon holds the required power item, it will receive 2.

No no thats what a macho brace does a power item gives 4 EVs in the specified stat for every pokemon knocked out e.g if holding a power lens while defeating a magikarp you'll get 1 speed EV and 4 Sp.Atk EVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

popzmaster wrote: »

If your lead Pokemon holds the Macho Brace and another Pokemon has Exp Share then, as I understand it, the lead Pokemon will get double EV's but the Exp Share Pokemon will only get the regular EV's. Maybe someone else can confirm that? Try giving the Exp Share Pokemon the Pokerus to also double his EV's

Wobbuffet wrote: »
    If your lead Pokemon holds the Macho Brace and another Pokemon has Exp Share then, as I understand it, the lead Pokemon will get double EV's but the Exp Share Pokemon will only get the regular EV's. Maybe someone else can confirm that? Try giving the Exp Share Pokemon the Pokerus to also double his EV's

Thanks man ive got a LOT of EV clearing to do now
    And nothings got the rus for me since GSC AND ive never seen a shiny...Bad luck!:(

Advertisement