Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film: Big Fan

Options
  • 29-08-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see this?
    It's widely available on the internet ;)

Follows a NY Giants fan.
    He is pretty much a loser, mid thirties, working as a car park attendant, no relationships and lives at home with his mother.

Attends the Giants games but due to his poor wages he watches the games out in the parking lot, sad to see
    His main outlet is writing and delivering rants over Sports radio and has his own nemesis in Philadelphia Phil, an Eagles fan. You'd recognize Phil from Prison Break.

The main character follows his hero Quantrall Bishop to a club and gets beaten to a pulp as he saw something he shouldn't have seen before getting to the club.
    The debate them is will he press charges or does he think he will harm the NY Giants season by doing so.

Well that's enough plot info realy, won't ruin it for you

It's a pretty sad film, there is no happy ending and you won't leave feeling uplifted.
    But it's a good watch, check it out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

pm me a link please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I like the look of it, but I'll be damned if it isn't a little too absurd that a guy who lives with his mother, has a stable (if minimium wage) job can't afford ticket for games, especially given he's clearly made it the crux of life. It reeks of the over-done pathos that alot of productions like this end up straying into - once it gets into the utterly ridiculous then it just distracts from the rest of the film.

A little rant, but I'm more than a little ethused to watch the film after seeing the trailer - the director/writer wrote the script for The Wrestler, so even in this general field he's got a good record. Thanks for drawing some attention to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Good to see Spence from king of queens has been promoted from selling subway tokens to selling parking tickets :pac:.

Will definitely give this a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Can you pm me a link to watch this too please?
    Thanks.

Cheers.Yeah it's okay, interesting enough watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Can some one pls PM me a link also?

Cheers

Cheers.Yeah it's okay, interesting enough watch.

I found that one of the biggest problems I had was the trailer - it shows waaaaay too much of the story and robbed a few scenes of their sense of unpredicability. I wouldn't have even given it a watch were it not for the trailer so I guess it's a trade-off.

The only other major complaint I had was that the actual composition of the picture was too dark at a good few points. I tested it on my tv and my PC screen and even after fiddling with the settings a few scenes were too dark for my liking, especially right at the end after the bar scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Syferus wrote: »

The only other major complaint I had was that the actual composition of the picture was too dark at a good few points. I tested it on my tv and my PC screen and even after fiddling with the settings a few scenes were too dark for my liking, especially right at the end after the bar scene.

What source did you watch it from? I downloaded a torrent of it DVD Quality and it was perfect. Plenty of version of it floating around that are pure sh1te and don't do the film any justice. But that is the joys to not actually paying for the movie ;):D

What source did you watch it from? I downloaded a torrent of it DVD Quality and it was perfect. Plenty of version of it floating around that are pure sh1te and don't do the film any justice. But that is the joys to not actually paying for the movie ;):D

It was a DVD rip! If it wasn't a film shot in the way Big Fan was would be totally unwatchable. The way it's shot is mean to be mostly handheld cameras, gritty and low lighting so even a slight tonal problem can make it hard to see what's happening unless you wash out the picture composition completely and turn the brightness up to a point where the blacks look more like light grays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Syferus wrote: »
    It was a DVD rip! If it wasn't a film shot in the way Big Fan was would be totally unwatchable. The way it's shot is mean to be mostly handheld cameras, gritty and low lighting so even a slight tonal problem can make it hard to see what's happening unless you wash out the picture composition completely and turn the brightness up to a point where the blacks look more like light grays!

Really? My point. Not all DVD rips online are actual DVD quality you should know seen as you seem to know a lot about films etc etc. I bet if you get the actual DVD or saw it in the cinema it would be fine. I don't know how many DVD rips I have that the quality is lost due to compression and the way they were ripped.

• Advertisement

Really? My point. Not all DVD rips online are actual DVD quality you should know seen as you seem to know a lot about films etc etc. I bet if you get the actual DVD or saw it in the cinema it would be fine. I don't know how many DVD rips I have that the quality is lost due to compression and the way they were ripped.

Oh yeah, I get you - I've never seen a DVD rip that matched the quality of the actual DVD, even when I rip them completely uncompressed the way .avi or whatever there's always a visable difference in the way the picture is presented. Why, well that's over my head too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Good to see Spence from king of queens has been promoted from selling subway tokens to selling parking tickets :pac:.

Will definitely give this a watch.

He still lives with his mum though. ;)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He still lives with his mum though. ;)

She doesn't drive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i thought it was pretty good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just watched the movie last week. I was kind of disappointed by the ending...

They built his character really well...Trying not to ruin it. The trailer makes it look a bit better than it actually is..I just wanted more of hrumph at the end.

Advertisement