Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 year old girl found dead at Porterstown Gate, Royal Canal.

Options
  • 28-08-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭

Desperately sad news for Dublin 15.

Gardaí are investigating the circumstances surrounding the discovery of the body of a 12-year-old girl on the banks of the Grand Canal in Dublin this afternoon.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0828/dublin1.html

Does anyone know how this happened? I really hope it was accidental?

EDIT: RTE called it the Grand Canal, but it's actually the Royal Canal (mod feel free to change). EDIT 2: Thanks mod, RTE have since updated their site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Terrible tragedy...thought are with the parents.

Where along the canal was it? near clonsilla train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Terrible tragedy...thought are with the parents.

Where along the canal was it? near clonsilla train station?

In between Clonsilla and Coolmine Station (where you can go over the tracks), just passed the traveller site. The road there was closed off, so it must be somewhere there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does anyone know how this happened? I really hope it was accidental?

At the moment there's a Garda investigation into the incident, so until the facts are made public we'd rather people did not speculate about what happened. Any posts looking for details or speculating on what happened will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

was just trying to find info after the initial shock at hearing this, particularly as the media said Dublin West Grand Canal - i jog 5 miles of that stretch a few nights a wk over the past few year, know that route better than most got very concerned - was actually the Royal Canal?!

so sorry about this. no speculation so i can't speak, but i'm very worried - for the same reason i think we all share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I walk along this stretch of the canal bank with my two dogs and I have a teenage daughter so I am also appalled at the implications.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    At the moment there's a Garda investigation into the incident, so until the facts are made public we'd rather people did not speculate about what happened. Any posts looking for details or speculating on what happened will be deleted.

Fair enough, I'm a local and I'm very eager to know the details.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Star Bingo wrote: »
    i'm very worried - for the same reason i think we all share.
    joolsveer wrote: »
    I have a teenage daughter so I am also appalled at the implications.

Folks, this is the final warning, there is to be NO speculation about what happened to this girl until the Gardaí make an official statement. At present all we know is that a young girl has died, the circumstances are unknown. As she is local, there's a good chance that someone who knew her may be reading this forum, so a little sensitivity would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"It is believed that at around midnight she told her parents that she was stepping out for a few minutes"

:confused::confused:

It's being treated as suspicious.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0828/dublin1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

ntlbell wrote: »
    "It is believed that at around midnight she told her parents that she was stepping out for a few minutes"

:confused::confused:

A 12 year old told her parents that she was stepping out for a few minutes at midnight!

I will add :confused::confused: too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beautiful monster

:(:(
    Zaph wrote: »
    Folks, this is the final warning, there is to be NO speculation about what happened to this girl until the Gardaí make an official statement. At present all we know is that a young girl has died, the circumstances are unknown. As she is local, there's a good chance that someone who knew her may be reading this forum, so a little sensitivity would be appreciated.

joolsveer wrote: »
    I walk along this stretch of the canal bank with my two dogs and I have a teenage daughter

i'm sorry your route's been tainted by this.

i hope we're entitled to an opinion once it becomes official as it'd only amount to speculation at this time, will bite my lip - but i'm livid. some of the lowest examples of human behavior have resulted in what is surely the lowest possible outcome, all likely taken for granted - we'll need to raise the bar as it has slipped to a new low. bless her is all i can say at this time ok - RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Why would you let a 12 year old out at midnight? :confused::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No speculation on this for the moment please, no questioning of or speculating on the whys and wherefores until the facts are clearer.
    My youngest child is around this age and this has taken me back a bit i have to say.
    My condolonces to her family and all who knew her.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alex doran

i personally knew this girl i used to live in the village porterstown moved to wicklow 4 years ago she was a good few years younger then me i knew her brother who was closer to my age her name is machela if my spelling is right very sad to hear this my sympathies go out to her family

as soon as i heard she was found in undergrowth i knew the general consensus would be sexual advances > attempted rape > strangulation.
    and true to form it has all emerged in police reports; just not been confirmed yet.

i'll say this much as the guy they have in custody is in his teens - there's a much higher proportion of young folk as opposed to adults who are mentally unstable/criminally insane but not been assessed/diagnosed/incarcerated as of yet as they're not fully developed thus hard to assess or simply haven't been due to the short time in which they've barely been old enough to be judged - so more disturbing if it were an adult imo - but it still suggests a further slide in social values with a youth displaying a vile arrogance combined with a disregard for human life which is not unheard of - just this time its a 12yr old girl's chastity/life and so i'm revolted. as for her telling her parents she was just slipping out? she may have been a 'mature' 12, but there's simply no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Lads, come on, maybe her idea of 'just slipping out' was going next door. Or whatever...it doesn't matter.

The fact is (and I'm not saying this trying to do a moderator's job but from a human decency standpoint) no matter how outraged, appalled or upset anyone posting is, the family and friends of this poor girl will be absolutely devastated at this time. It is NOT the time to be making judgements of the parents during this heart-wrenching time in their life. Not on a large scale public message board where said family and friends could be reading.

If you're parents, imagine how you'd feel, and imagine how you'd feel if you read the judgements of people who don't know the people involved or the full facts. Cop on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, I'm closing this thread for the moment as has happened in other fora. I know everyone wants to talk this thing through, but rigt here is not the place at this time.

Without possession of the facts it wil lbe too easy to specualte, make assumptions, and start to say things that that could be very upsetting to the family/friends of the deceased or that we might regret later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement