Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink

Options
  • 28-08-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Posting here as most anglers tend to be conservationists, and these f'ers kill everything.
    Saw a bloody mink today on the croft, no contact number on Dept of Ag for advice, no answer from parks and wildlife.

Trap costs 35 bloody Euro and a 50 mile round trip to Clifden.

I had to buy it because I think snares should be banned, but dear christ, 35 euro is a lot of dosh for me, ut I need it I guess to protect neighbours hens and native wildlife!!

Wish me luck in trapping the bugger, I like having cats and wildlife around the place.

Is there anyone I should report the sighting to?
    I live on a peninsula, and have never seen them here before.

Any advice on baits and control welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Just shoot him? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

About six foot of wavin pipe blocked off at one end. Lie it on a steep bank (more than 45*) where you know there are mink and stick a few sardines down. The mink go in to get the bait and can't get back up the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

About six foot of wavin pipe blocked off at one end. Lie it on a steep bank (more than 45*) where you know there are mink and stick a few sardines down. The mink go in to get the bait and can't get back up the pipe.

Just like the milk bottle mouse trap, never fails:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

this works.........failing that a bullet in the arse works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

this works.........failing that a bullet in the arse works too.

That was only step one. Step two involves bullets... If your feeling kind but we won't go into that ;->
    very destructive little critters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Have seen loads of them around.. about a year ago I saw one take down a heron.. it was an ugly sight and took the heron a 10 mins to die while the mink dragged him into the margins and held him by the neck.. We were on the far bank and nothing we could do..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Mother Nature...

They can be a curse on any fishery........

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

This morning the trap contained Mr. Macho, a neighbours tomcat who occasionally comes over and knocks the crap out of our kitten Leon, let him out, gave him a saucer of milk and sent him on his way.

I had used mackerel the first night, sardines the second.

Parks and Wildlife sent (or should that be scent) me a pheremone to use as a lure.
    If anyone requires a contact in NPWS to get the bait, just PM me

Advertisement