Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Games Development

• 28-08-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone is doing computer games development this year? Got offered the course Monday, pure delighted. Does anyone know what this course is like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i have a few friends doing this course.

first year is a generic double semester with 6 courses per semester.

first semester you will do..

introduction to programming (java)
    discrete mathematics
    student development (fun activities like bowling, team building excercises etc)
    communications (be prepared to be bored off your head!)
    general computing (seems very easy, but requires you to pay attention!)
    Computer Applications (all microsoft office programs)

its very straight forward semester, and if you put some time into going to lectures and the classes, you should get on fine!

second semester changes a small bit,
    programming (java stage 2)
    problem solving with robotics (lego mindstorms and programming them with java)
    computer archtecture (continuation of general computing but with added headaches!)
    and the other games associated subjects i dont know too much about :p

hope this helps! from what i hear from my friends doing the course, its very straight forward, but you really need to attend the classes and keep your head on top of things and you should come out with very good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shanmeister

Thanks so much RMC, thats great stuff. Really wanted to know what the course was about and the classes. Is there any other programming language in first year you have to learn other then java?

for the first semester, no. its all java.

second semester for gaming students, they do go into some other area's that my course doesn't, but from what i heard, its very straight forward with java.

So what other courses will I be sharing with in the first semester? I know that the digital forensics course is one of them. And is it hard to get back into the maths part of the computer courses? I'm out of school a couple of years now so I hope its not too hard to get back into.

Well i finsihed my leaving cert in 2003, and i found it very easy to pick math up again.

You share with

Applied Computing
    computer security and digital forensics
    Computer Games Development
    Business Applications

but for your practical classes you will be devided into groups of your own course.

Its only for the lectures that your in with everyone else.

• Advertisement

Finished mine in 2005. Thats a bit of a load off to be honest:)
    I'm a tad bit nervous going back and all so I'm hoping everything works out.
    Seems like an interesting course. Cheers again RMC.

Dont worry, its a very easy first year, and im sure you will transition back into education the same as all of us :p

just dont get wasted every night, and turn up and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 laniganoath

hey im doing this 2.roll on monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 laniganoath

we have to do C++ writing also man its suppose to be very hard from what i heard:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

hey ho!

just finished a 4 year course in games development in carlow.
    It is a difficult course but dont be swayed, anything worthwhile is never easy.

As a heads up, id say brush up on youre maths, theyre extremely important youre gonna be doing a lot of 3d related maths, vectors and such.

Also, youre timetable might say 20 - 30 hours a week but in reality you'll be doing nearly twice that if you want to do well, lots of late nights,early mornings and even a few all nighters for good measure.

Just knuckle down and enjoy it, all the hard work eventually pays off! :)

BTW, if anybody has the need for a games programmer, let me know! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement