Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pronounce 'Aer Arann'

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Was watching the RTE nine O'Clock news last night and Eileen Dunn talked about the possible take over of 'Aer Arann', but she pronounced it "Aer Orann", personally I have never heard of 'Aer Orann' before, so is that the true gaelic way of pronouncing it? Couriously, on the the RTE morning broadcast it had gone back to Aer Arann, (the 'or' had been dropped) :)

So which is correct, Arann or Orann.

Go raibh maith agat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

LordSutch wrote: »
    Was watching the RTE nine O'Clock news last night and Eileen Dunn talked about the possible take over of 'Aer Arann', but she pronounced it "Aer Orann", personally I have never heard of 'Aer Orann' before, so is that the true gaelic way of pronouncing it? Couriously, on the the RTE morning broadcast it had gone back to Aer Arann, (the 'or' had been dropped) :)

So which is correct, Arann or Orann.

Go raibh maith agat.

The word is Árann with an accent (síneadh fada) over the first a, which gives it a broad sound, (like Seán), so Eileen Dunne has the pronunciation spot on. It's an Irish language name, so it's only proper that it be pronounced as it is in Irish.

I heard recently that Brian Dobson was talking about former Green Party politician Déirdre de Búrca on the news, but he kept calling her Déirdre de Burka. :rolleyes:

804106922_islam-burka.jpg?ts=4C781CF0&key=10A123A5F577F1B8FE0BEB2DC1793257&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.backstage.com%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F904106922%2Finlineimg%2FY%2Fislam-burka.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gael wrote: »
    The word is Árann with an accent (síneadh fada) over the first a, which gives it a broad sound, (like Seán), so Eileen Dunne has the pronunciation spot on. It's an Irish language name, so it's only proper that it be pronounced as it is in Irish.

Thanks for that, I guessed as much, although some consistancy would be nice amongst RTE personell, Eilenn Dunn says Aer Orann very distinctly, then she hands over to the reporter on the ground who says 'Aer Arann' several times, then back to Eileen in the studio and its 'Orann' again :)

Slan leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

What causes the confusion is that as a company they call themselves "Aer Arann" ...not to include the fada is a kop-out by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Her pronunciation is perfect. Her husband is Macdara Ó Fátharta, aka Tadhg from Ros na Rún.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I'd like to know why Pádraig Ó Céidigh, from Conamara, in the 16 years of his ownership of the airline has'nt added the fada in the written 'Aer Arann'.
    He did trojan work with the airline in that period and the Gaeltacht people, in particular, have a lot to thank him for. However, not adding the fada, which would make a written Aer Árann, leaves the door open to people pronouncing it as they see written, as LordSutch mentions above.
    Eileen Dunne is remaining loyal to what she knows to be the origin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement