Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio Z series - overpriced or worth the expense

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at the Sony Vaio Z series of laptops and at first I was quite taken aback by the price. Nothing in the range for less than €2000.
    http://www.sony.ie/product/vn-z-series
    13.3" hi res LED screen, i5 processor, nivida graphics, SSD drive, integrated 3G.

Are they worth the money or are they an overpriced pretentious toy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

TBF they offer the only Full HD 13inch model on the market. Near flawless machines.

Pros:

Extremely thin and light
    extremely high spec
    full HD screen
    up to 4 SSD in RAID 0 config.... :eek:
    Switchable Graphics
    6 hours battery life

Cons:

No USB 3.0
    GPU could be better
    Price!

Are they worth the price? no
    Do i want one? yes!

The Acer Timeline X 3820TG would be the closest competitor for half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

brownej wrote: »
    an overpriced pretentious toy.

+1

My daughter got VAIO for Christmas (against my advice) webcam has gone twice. The lip enclosing same is flimsy, maybe contributing.

The spec looks good enough but I would say the quality won't be. Hope they aren't bundling spyware like they used to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I think it's over priced

recently upgraded my Sony Vaio which I had for about 5 years with no problems at all except that it got old for what I needed.

I looked at a lot in the 1000 to 2000 price range and although I would have preferred to stick with sony since I had a good experience with them the costs were just not justified against other brands with good track records.

Ended up getting a Toshiba which is a bit huge but it was a desktop replacment I was after so that doesnt matter too much to me.

I still have the Vaio though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

depends what you want it for, personally i've been saving to get one as its portable and powerful enough to handle 3D CAD applications, not sure how they cool an i7......may be a problem

I recon if you want get the i7 quad SSD and 8gb ram option there would be few laptops to compete with it, i'd recon a similar spec on an anlienware would be similar price in a much much bigger package.

in terms of built quality nearly all manufacturors are bad, HP may be the exception but again you pay for that.

keep in mind the price of SSD, but also the preformance gain if you'll be editing any kind of large file

Anyone know is there new version of the z this year?

Advertisement