Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create Fixie Bikes

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi There,

Does anyone know if Create bikes are any good (www.createbikes.com)
    I have googled them and they get a mixed review, looking at the Red\black fixie.

Thanks,

JKC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I havent ridden one, or no anyone who has. but i have not really anything good about them...............in saying that, in would have to be the gray and black on for me :D

i have heard the frames are a bit, well........flexible :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i would assume they are built with economy in mind, to that end the parts will be of lower quality than FG's higher on the price scale, you'd probably be better off trying to find a second hand one for that kind of money or i know rothar will make you up a FG/SS for around that

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod note: Moved from Cycling Adverts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Guy in work got one. TBH their does not seem to be anything wrong with them if you want a cheap run around fixie, from what i've heard they are getting better quality wise each year, apparently they used to be very dodge but with each passing year they are getting better.

Based on the one the guy in work has, I'd have no problem with them
    Just paint over the Create decal so the snobs don't judge you :D

CramCycle wrote: »
    Guy in work got one. TBH their does not seem to be anything wrong with them if you want a cheap run around fixie, from what i've heard they are getting better quality wise each year, apparently they used to be very dodge but with each passing year they are getting better.

Based on the one the guy in work has, I'd have no problem with them
    Just paint over the Create decal so the snobs don't judge you :D
    Glad to hear they're getting better quality, woudl be dreadful to have people disillusioned by constant repairs.

Out of interest, does he do much riding on it? Would he know a good FG from a bad one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

abcdggs wrote: »
    Glad to hear they're getting better quality, woudl be dreadful to have people disillusioned by constant repairs.

Out of interest, does he do much riding on it? Would he know a good FG from a bad one?

He does about 10km a day on it, a bit more on friday and saturday,

He's had it for over 2 years (how much more I can't say).

In this price range what is a good fixie and what isn't?

It hasn't broke since he bought it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    He does about 10km a day on it, a bit more on friday and saturday,

He's had it for over 2 years (how much more I can't say).

In this price range what is a good fixie and what isn't?

It hasn't broke since he bought it.
    Thanks for that, was mostly looking for a point of reference. someone who rides once a month down to the shop wouldn't be much of a poster boy for the quality of a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I had one, lots of problems with the wheels - spent a lot of time fixing those bad boys..

Metal burrs inside the rim that would puncture tubes upon inflating them. Eventually had to get glasspaper and sand the inside of the rim smooth. Yes, I was using good quality rim tape.. Big metal burrs. The spoke tension was crazily done, some were so tight they felt like they'd snap, others were wobbily bendy loose. Spent a good bit of time fixing that, surprisingly once done up properly the wheel remained mostly true. I've seen someone snap the brake off the front of a create by using it (pulled lever, nut came off end of bolt, no front brake, tons of fun in single speed mode.. ) so I changed that just to be on the safe side..

Nothing major but considering that a bike shop would charge at a minimum €25 an hour to put these things right, if I didn't know what I was doing myself it could have end up costing me quite a lot just to fix the wheels. Then the cost of a new front brake. Then there's the cost of all the innertubes I got through (well.. three.. which in fairness I did just puncture-repair and store but thats not really the point..)

Maybe they have got better but the one I had was sort of 'half finished' - eg it was put together, but needed a bit of workmanship and care before it was what i'd call a 'decent bike'. Once 'finished' though, yeah I couldnt really fault it, it was light and rode well, frame felt pretty stiff, and I did like the ride. Frame felt very 'pingy' compared to my other bikes.

Basically, yeah they're cheap runaround fixies but unless their factory spec quality has improved dramatically, or you know how to fix bikes, you could end up paying a lot more in the long run to keep it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

Thanks for info, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=312702377396&topic=15611

Important Product Enhancement Notice – Create Track Bike.

Create have received a few isolated reports of the bottom bracket axle failing on our Create Track bikes.

Our investigation into this matter suggests that whilst these all of our axles have been heat treated, a batch may have gone through the hardening process twice resulting in a small number being ‘through’ hardened at their ends.

Under normal riding conditions this should not cause any problems, however, under extreme conditions such as hard braking using only the fixed wheel, balancing the bike by standing/bouncing on the pedals and performing BMX type stunts subject the axle to very large torsional stresses which can lead to premature failure.

Whilst the likelihood of this is small, should you have any concerns regarding your sealed BB unit we will be happy to send you a free of charge replacement – your safety is, of course, our number 1 priority.

To obtain your replacement bottom bracket, we will require your bicycle’s frame number (located underneath the BB shell) and your name and address so we can send out the part.

This can be done in one of 3 simple and quick ways:

Dealer - Where you bought the bike from

By Post – Send the information to: Fellia Limited,
    Distributor of Createbikes
    Unit 14
    Arden Road
    Enfield
    Middx EN3 7SP

By Email – Details to: Sales@fellia.com

All of us at Create would like to thank you for helping us to resolve this matter.

Yours faithfully

Create Team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

fixies are gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kidclyde

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

fixies are gay
    AND they burst your knees.

Advertisement