Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loch Derg over night

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

hey folks. i was thinking of doing an overnight with my touring kayak on loch derg before the weather goes bad. any ideas where i could go camping there on the water front?? or 1 of the islands??.. or is that allowed. Any information would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have done a good few source to sea trips and canal trips. Island camping is grand as long as there are no buildings. The only difficulty with some of the wild islands is trying to find a clear site. If you camp on the shore, make sure you get permission from the owners (nearest building or farm). The usual things apply, make an alter fire, keep it low and don't burn green, close gates after you, bring your rubbish and any other rubbish there with you and farmers will always appreciate you pulling ragworth before you leave! Tell someone what time you will be back at. Watch out for livestock, they seem to have less and less human contact lately and can be skitty. Last thing a farmer wants is a scared flock or herd.

Don't sit your your canoe around the fire. It will melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 e.marian.ivan

Advertisement