Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1 year sitting in a car garage too long?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

The car I'm looking at is a Nissan Figaro 1991. It's been sitting in the garage for approx. 1 year. Is that too long and what mechanical complications may occur because of this?
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get a mechanic to give it a proper going over, but apart from needing a good service and possible issue with tires, I dont think it would be too much of an issue, providing the garage gave it good protection.

Others may have differing opinions tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

djimi wrote: »
    Get a mechanic to give it a proper going over, but apart from needing a good service and possible issue with tires, I dont think it would be too much of an issue, providing the garage gave it good protection.

Others may have differing opinions tho...
    +1, wouldnt be something that would put me off at all so long as i had it checked out and everything was ok. Good room for price negotiation aswell if its been sitting there that long i reckon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'd be more worried about why you want to buy a 91 Nissan Figaro in the first place!!

But there are a few things that will need doing:

Check the battery, it could need replacing
    The oil and filters will need replacing
    Tyre's really should be replaced
    All fluids checked
    All belts should be checked

etc..

Basically do as djimi says and get it fully checked out and if the mechanic is happy with it then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Basically, check anything rubber (tyres, belts etc) as they can easily perish after not being used for a while. Also as draffodx said, battery, fluids and a full service and it should be fine after that.

Also, a wash and a wax ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd look at the average price and offer a bit less.

Like others have said check anything "rubber" as they could perish but more than likely will be ok but I'd change the tyres for safety.

I left a car standing from Oct '04 to June '06 and once I started driving it I didn't bother changing tyres and suffered a blowout on the front drivers while taking a corner.

Everything else was fine and it passed all NCTs since including one a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ahoop

Wow thank you for the speedy reply, and I've just tried to negotiate the cost. I will get my own mechanic to give it the once over too.
    Thanks again :)

Out of curiosity, how much are they going for these days? I remember looking at them last year or 18 month ago because my girlfriend was obsessed with them for a while and thinking they were every expensive at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ahoop

They were looking for €7,950, then it went down to €7,250 and I'm trying to negotiate it down even further. I'm trading in my car too so hoping to get a chunk off, but mine has no nct and not a lot going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld say there would be some serious amounts of rust if the car has been sitting around for so long...
    Unless it was locked up in an airtight moisture free garage or was being cleaned every few weeks or so...

Have a good look for rust before you decide anything...

I'ld say there would be some serious amounts of rust if the car has been sitting around for so long...
    Unless it was locked up in an airtight moisture free garage or was being cleaned every few weeks or so...

Have a good look for rust before you decide anything...

Not necessarily. I have a car that has been parked out in my garden for the better part of a year that has no rust on it. Unless the Figaros are prone to rust are they?

• Advertisement

ahoop wrote: »
    They were looking for €7,950, then it went down to €7,250 and I'm trying to negotiate it down even further. I'm trading in my car too so hoping to get a chunk off, but mine has no nct and not a lot going for it!

I see they havent come down much in price then... :eek:

That's a wicked price for a funky-looking Datsun :D

EDIT: The fact that that muppet Lucy Kennedy drives one in an ad is hardly keeping the value that high!? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

How much!!! for a 1991 car!!!! It's just a car at the end of the day, you could get a very nice (if boring) Micra or Yaris for that price...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1516711

Tbf its a lot more exciting and distictive than a Micra or a Yaris! Its still a lot of money tho for what is essentially a 19 year old 1litre car, even if it is a 1L turbo! I suppose it thats what they are going for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

djimi wrote: »
    Tbf its a lot more exciting and distictive than a Micra or a Yaris! Its still a lot of money tho for what is essentially a 19 year old 1litre car, even if it is a 1L turbo! I suppose it thats what they are going for...

Aren't they only autos too? Tis a crazy price alright but they do sell and the price is similar in the UK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It seems they devalue little so even at the high price, they are good value. I believe a properly looked after one of that age will retain its full value. Nothing wrong with that but as for what its like as a car, it must be terrible.

It is quite funky looking but it is very expensive too for what is just a Datsun/Nissan.

I'ld rather get myself a VW Karmann Ghia.
    It has a lot more style and presence and is a very iconic car.

it is very expensive too for what is just a Datsun/Nissan.

would you say the same about the new GT-R??

would you say the same about the new GT-R??

Hmm... It is cheaper than a Porsche though so its good value. Just like a Nissan/Datsun! ;)

Hmm... It is cheaper than a Porsche though so its good value. Just like a Nissan/Datsun! ;)

Hahah good answer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement