Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discover Ireland free tourist guide..only 2 Limerick things listed!!

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I was in Galway for a day and i went into the tourist office just for a look and picked up leaflets/guides etc
    I was flicking through the guide and Limerick has 2 pages to its self and the 2 attractions listed are
    1 page to Thomond park and 1 page to Kings Island i.e King Johns castle and the"Mediaeval quarter"
    Its not going to get people running to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What else do you suggest they list, that would be of appeal to tourists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Just put as much as they can down no matter how small
    Art gallery,hunt collection,Pery square,Angelas ashes,arts,drama,music etc
    Im not saying there is loads but to list just 2 things

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Galway is a 100 million miles ahead of Limerick - which is pretty depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I have news for you

Limerick is shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mc Love wrote: »
    Galway is a 100 million miles ahead of Limerick - which is pretty depressing

It is and it isn't, Galway gives us a good idea of what can be done if people are willing to work for it.

There's a lot of things that Limerick does better than Galway, market, muesum, art gallery. There's loads we have to learn from, festivals, city centre.

Some people would rather be depressed about Limerick than try and change it.

• Advertisement

It is and it isn't, Galway gives us a good idea of what can be done if people are willing to work for it.

There's a lot of things that Limerick does better than Galway, market, muesum, art gallery. There's loads we have to learn from, festivals, city centre.

Some people would rather be depressed about Limerick than try and change it.

Just the atmosphere and the buzz about the place, Quay st etc. Eyre Square, you should have seen it today at lunchtime, the streets had about treble the amount Limerick probably had, and it was the same last night, nearly every bar was packed

Just the atmosphere and the buzz about the place, Quay st etc. Eyre Square, you should have seen it today at lunchtime, the streets had about treble the amount Limerick probably had, and it was the same last night, nearly every bar was packed

My girlfriend lives in Galway, I'm there often, you don't need to sell it to me. However, I prefer to live in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And the normal person to scumbag ratio is nicely positive. Limerick does have a lot going for it though, theres the stump, and the field. tourists here are warned to space them out over a 2 day period though, seeing both together can result in entertainment overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness Limerick is not a tourist attraction and never really has been. It's your typical large town/city where people work and live. Look at travel guides for other countries and you will find a fair share of their cities with similar reviews.

My girlfriend lives in Galway, I'm there often, you don't need to sell it to me. However, I prefer to live in Limerick.

Me too, the bad side is the traffic and the streets layout, would be a nightmare to live with, plus we have the rugby!

• Advertisement

Me too, the bad side is the traffic and the streets layout, would be a nightmare to live with, plus we have the rugby!

I also prefer Limerick's pubs, not Limerick's superpubs (where Galway has the edge) but actual pubs like Dolans, Collins, Curragower etc. A problem with going out in Galway is all the good pubs have slowly been turned into superpubs, some of which are fine but none would be my local, whereas Limerick's superpubs (Smyths, Flannerys, etc) are really poor.

On the whole though, I don't think we should get bogged down in continually comparing ourselves to Galway, Limerick should create it's own identity, not copy Galway's.

Limerick should create it's own identity, not copy Galway's.

Wont disagree with you on that one! I suppose natural order will be restored once we have rugby back.

In terms of attraction that is one big selling point, regardless of whether you like rugby or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Rugby is a big thing to Limerick but it does nothing for tourists?Outside the British isles and France does rugby draw people to Limerick...if you said Munster to an average tourist dont thing they would be interested.King Johns isnt a great attraction if anything it should be free i wouldnt recommend someone to pay into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

bigpink wrote: »
    if you said Munster to an average tourist dont thing they would be interested.

I bet the first thing that comes to mind is a picture similar to this:

The-Munsters--C10056395.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

its not exactly a tourist hotspot is it?

Advertisement