Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for lake fishing in calm conditions

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Now that the kids are heading back to school the weather is likely to settle again as its been for the last few days (in the west at least).

Anyone got any tips as to the best method of trout fishing on the lakes where there is little ripple on the surface.

Is there any point dry fly fishing or are these good conditions for the dry fly?

Haven't seen to many fish taking fly off the surface which may point to using sinking lines and wet flies but have also heard people talk about using dry flies too so a little confused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

its a funny one but when clam you can fish on top and bottom, i.e. dries on the surface and below the surface fish deep with 'sunk flies', what I mean by 'sunk flies' is slim patterns like various underwater bugs, nymphs, sedge pupa and buzzers...I don’t fish traditional 'winged' wet flies in calm conditions, they are not really 'designed' to work in calm conditions. Traditional wet flies were originally tied to represent emerging insects (up-winged flies, sedges) emerging during windy conditions. At such times the emerging insects get blown over and waterlogged the traditional winged wet flies imitate this stage and are good when a breeze on the water, in calm water they are less effective…in calm conditions there are two options so either better to stick to dries on the surface or fish nymphs/buzzer deep as above.....hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Check for activity on the water, is there fly life? Are trout rising?

If trout are just sipping on the surface, fish a size 18 dry black gnat or coch y bonddu...

It really depends on the day, trout & fly activity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Get up early and find the fry feeders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

coolwings wrote: »
    Get up early and find the fry feeders!
    Are you saying early morning is best for lure fishing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Big trout feed in low light conditions, and the back end has this years fry hanging about the margins.
    Not to say daytime fishing is bad at all, but you need a ripple or wave, or overcast sky for better results then.
    You only learn what is really in your favourite water if you are there at dawn and dusk on various occasions. It will give you confidence for the other times when no surface activity is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Went out on Corrib yesterday and it was bright but there was some wind to give a bit of wave and ripple. Tried dry flies but nothing doing so changed to dapping a daddy long legs and grasshopper.

Managed to catch a lovely big trout (at least by my standards) of about 2lbs. Took the advice given on dapping on a previous thread and counted to five before lifting the rod and the fight was on. Great feeling and my son was thrilled as it made a pleasant change from landing bloody perch.

On another note for those who fish the lake the water levels are as low as I've seen them. Lots of rocks and shallows exposed or just below the surface. Ran aground briefly on a drift that I've never come across the rocks before.

Advertisement