Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Java Course Dorset College

Options
  • 27-08-2010 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi there ,

Just wondering has anyone done this course and whether its any good??
    Are there are other Java / OO courses in Dublin worth considering ??

Thanks ,

AB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lexor

That is a serious amount of money to pay for a course like that. Why not by a good book on passing the exam for €50 and save yourself €800.

Alternatively, download the following book
    http://scjp-preparacion.googlecode.com/files/SCJP%20Sun%20Certified%20Programmer%20for%20Java%206.pdf

and spend a bit of time going through it. The whizlabs exam simulator was also very good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

have you any programming experience OP ?

Do you want to learn Java/OO from scratch or do you want to prepare for the certification exams ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

have you any programming experience OP ?

Do you want to learn Java/OO from scratch or do you want to prepare for the certification exams ?

Cheers for the replies guys.
    To be honest ,yes I'm more looking to learn OO programming rather than Java itself.
    My programming experience up to now would really be mostly procedural, PHP mostly and writing scripts so I want to move up a level to really understand OO programming.
    The reason I want to do a course is that I'm really getting frustrated getting to grips with some of the concepts of OO and I was hoping that through a classroom environment I would be able to ask questions and have a more involved experience , and learn a lot more from simply reading a book.
    I've attempted to read books like the GoF's and various other design books and really I'm getting nowhere. I feel all I need is though is somone to explain a lot of what of what I'm reading and it'll make sense, because at the moment a lot of it is going over my head.

Am I going about this the wrong way??

anbrutog wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys.
    To be honest ,yes I'm more looking to learn OO programming rather than Java itself.
    My programming experience up to now would really be mostly procedural, PHP mostly and writing scripts so I want to move up a level to really understand OO programming.
    The reason I want to do a course is that I'm really getting frustrated getting to grips with some of the concepts of OO and I was hoping that through a classroom environment I would be able to ask questions and have a more involved experience , and learn a lot more from simply reading a book.
    I've attempted to read books like the GoF's and various other design books and really I'm getting nowhere. I feel all I need is though is somone to explain a lot of what of what I'm reading and it'll make sense, because at the moment a lot of it is going over my head.

Am I going about this the wrong way??

its hard to tell... all people learn in different ways and at different paces.

I would say by going down the self-learning/book route and working through the examples you'll eventually get the hang of it.
    perhaps there are forums you can visit if you have specific questions that need to be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lexor

The SCJP exam focuses more on the syntax and structure of Java (which would include some OO questions) buy I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone starting to learn OO.

Get yourself a good beginners book on Java which should also include detailed overview of what OO programming. The concepts of encapsulation, polymorphism and inheritance should be clearly explained and have code listings to back up the explanation. Learn about the "is a" and "has a" relationships.

After that, it's practice, practice, practice. I came from a c/assembler background when I started learning C++. I began by recoding some old C projects into C++. I stuck rigidly to the principles of OO (as mentioned above) which involved many code rewrites upon review. It was only after I had a very good grasp of OO principles, that I started looking at the GoF book (and that took a good numbers of reads for the information to digest).

Also, I've known a number people who went on them beginner OO courses (which can cost a serious amount of money but the job paid), and they didn't really get a lot out of them. They ended up reverting to a beginners book to fully grasp the concepts and just practicing themselves..

Hope that helps..

• Advertisement

its hard to tell... all people learn in different ways and at different paces.

I would say by going down the self-learning/book route and working through the examples you'll eventually get the hang of it.
    perhaps there are forums you can visit if you have specific questions that need to be answered.

I think I'll run with the course. Personally , for me anyways , I think its the best way to learn. Really , all I need is for someone to explain some of the key concepts that have eluded my understanding up until now, I reckon with some classroom guidence it'll fall into place.

anbrutog wrote: »
    I think I'll run with the course. Personally , for me anyways , I think its the best way to learn. Really , all I need is for someone to explain some of the key concepts that have eluded my understanding up until now, I reckon with some classroom guidence it'll fall into place.

if you can get your company to pay for it , all the better.

thinking outside of the box here but why don't you ask some of the java heads on here for grinds , a bit like a driving lessons so to speak.

you might need one to one tuition in the areas you need tuition in rather than a classroom which is geared towards a course of certification.

if you can get your company to pay for it , all the better.

thinking outside of the box here but why don't you ask some of the java heads on here for grinds , a bit like a driving lessons so to speak.

you might need one to one tuition in the areas you need tuition in rather than a classroom which is geared towards a course of certification.

Hey Golem ,

Good suggestion. Its definitely overkill for my requirements to learn Java , really ultimately what I'm after is to develop my OO PHP understanding, but like I said the a lot of the core OO concepts I'm just not getting. Will look into it...

AB

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gary98

Hi anbrutog,

Do you do this course?

If so can you provide any feedback on the course?

Thanks,
    Gary

gary98 wrote: »
    Hi anbrutog,

Do you do this course?

If so can you provide any feedback on the course?

Thanks,
    Gary

Never did it Gary unfortunately. Ive taken a completely different path as it turns out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MarkGilmore

Hi

Im looking to do sun certified Quali

Hoping to do 0z1-803

wondering if anyone knows a place to download practice exam q's for free??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Hi

Im looking to do sun certified Quali

Hoping to do 0z1-803

wondering if anyone knows a place to download practice exam q's for free??

No, and please don't revive zombie threads to ask for what is essentially warez.

Advertisement