Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused mum

Options
  • 27-08-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

My son is doing his leaving this year.Hes talking about going to liberties college and than trinity.I dont understand why he would do that Liberties , isnt a sticky on boards .I know he most likely wont get the points needed for Trinity, but why would you put your first choice down as Liberties.I think, its cause a few of his friends are going?
    Any adivice for a very confused mum.I tried reading the ceo thing, but got lost after the first thread.
    Thanks,Cathy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well, when filling out his CAO, he should put the course choices in the order that he would like to be offered the courses - forgetting about points. A lot of people, and I have friends who have done so, don't put down the course that they really want and in the end it turns out they would have gotten it, if it wasn't for poor choices, and order, on their CAO.

If he would prefer to get Liberties over Trinity, then that is what should be put down first. Order is vital on the CAO form, just as important, if not moreso, than the actual choices themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I didn't know where I wanted to go at the beginning of 6th year either. It's horrible looking ahead to exams and then the stress of picking a college on top of all that. All I'll say is don't worry and it's going to be very nerve wracking for you watching it as it unfolds but it will work out in the end. Even the day before the CAO closes or on the day of closure people change their CAO at the last minute. He will get information from the guidance councilor in school with a bit of luck and that will more than likely have information on every third level place in the country and he needs to go through it and select places because they have what he wants not because his friends are going there. I'm going to UCD in a few weeks and lots of people I know are going too but I've heard that you never really see people during the day or anything because these places are so big so he shouldn't base his decision solely on that.

If he doesn't appear to be showing any interest you need to watch out for main dates such as CAO registration, CAO course choices and anything that may be offered by the school like meetings. Places offering PLCs and those options need to be contacted if that applies to your son because my a number of my friends went to interviews or handed in portfolios and things of that sort.

Good luck to you and your son. All you need to do is make it to Halloween midterm break. That was the hardest part by far for me and then I just felt like there was no way out now, just go with it and it'll be over soon and it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

I agree with the other two replies. Your son should put down the course he really wants as number one, and not base it on points. However, if he would prefer to get into Trinity without doing a year in the Liberties College, then he should put it down as number one; if he doesn't get it due to lack of points in the first round then he'd be offered his number two. If in the second round places become available again and the points drop, he would get number one.

The CAO system works off the basis that number one is all you want and no lower; if you can't get number one then it'll offer you number two or three etc. if available. If in the first round you get say your third choice, you can't get offered any choice lower than number three in later rounds. This is why it is vital to put it down by preference and not by points. If in round two a place higher than your last choice (i.e. one or two) becomes available and you meet all requirements the CAO will offer you that course.

Try not to worry too much about it, whatever's meant to happen will happen and it'll all fall into place in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

Hiya :)

Ok first of all can I just make it clear that the liberties college take applications directly to the college, not through the CAO, they have absolutely nothing to do with the CAO.

The Liberties is a college of further education, not an IoT or university. Your son should still use the CAO facility, and put trinity as his number one. The reason your son is probably looking into the liberties is because they have "access to university" courses.

Heres one:

http://libertiescollege.ie/courses/details/liberal-arts-access-to-university

This one makes him eligible to apply to any uni or IoT, except for Trinity.

http://libertiescollege.ie/courses/details/access-course-for-higher-education-young-adults-tap

The one above is part of the Trinity Access Programme. Please bare in mind that both of these courses make you eligible for entry primarily in the arts department of colleges. And for the Trinity Access Programme, you must fit into a certain social criteria set out by the college, the Liberal Arts course(which is the first one) has no set criteria, just grades are needed.

Of course, the college do other courses, which after completion can leave you eligible to apply for IoTs and universities, but the two above are the ones actually designed to gain the students access to university.

I have looked into the Liberal Arts course, and have found their success rate to be unbelievably high, and have decided myself to do this course, I start september 14th. I will keep you in mind, and let you know what I think of it personally. Tell your son to apply for first round interviews, as the Liberal Arts course fills up quick, four of my friends got letters saying they couldnt be interviewed as there was no room on the course. Best Of Luck to your son in sixth year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

First off, well done to you for being so interested in your sons career even at this stage of the year. Its a busy and hectic year ahead for both of you and knowing whats what and being familiar with the CAO system and aware of as many colleges as possible is half the battle.

You dont mention what your son is interested in studying at uni. That in itself is a very tough decision as coming straight from school, no one really has a clue what any third level course will be like, unless they have an older brother, sister, cousin, friend etc who has done a particular course and can tell them.
    But I will say that limiting the possibilities to any one particular college is being short sighted and dare I say it, silly. Yes, we all have friends going off to places that we too would like to go. We all know Trinity is 'supposedly' one of the most famous colleges going... the Irish Yale or Oxford... but so many colleges now offer the same courses with the same qualifications at the end of it and 9 times out of 10, for lower points. And trust me, employers dont employ people based on what college the applicant went to. Not anymore anyway.
    I know what its like to have your heart set on one particular college. I was hell bent that I would go to UCC. Didnt even look at the other colleges, and the colleges in the UK were just nowhere in my mind. Man I lived to regret it.

So first thing you need to do is focus on what he would like to do. Then find out where that course could be taken. Points are only an indication of demand and popularity of a course in any one given year. While it is advisable to look at the points, dont base course choices on the CAO on them.

Best of luck with everything and keep in touch with these boards cos as many will be able to confirm, they are so informative and a way of keeping in touch with what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Mam why do you always have to go trying to know what's best for me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

STDTIMEOUT, no idea who you are, but Id say as a mam, because I love you and want whats best for you.I want to use my knowledge to guide you and to be able to do that.I need to have the knowledge.Thats why I send half my life reading about CEO,catching up on maths papers and have gained a real interest in science but I still do not understanding, but Im trying my best, cause I love you.Thats what I would say if I was your mam.
    Now,
    He wants to study English , and History.Fingers crossed and thanks for the advice.Cathy

oh , another question , when should he apply to Liberties? And what is menat by

And for the Trinity Access Programme, you must fit into a certain social criteria set out by the college

Thanks again,Cathy

cathy01 wrote: »
    STDTIMEOUT, no idea who you are, but Id say as a mam, because I love you and want whats best for you.I want to use my knowledge to guide you and to be able to do that.I need to have the knowledge.Thats why I send half my life reading about CEO,catching up on maths papers and have gained a real interest in science but I still do not understanding, but Im trying my best, cause I love you.Thats what I would say if I was your mam.
    Now,
    He wants to study English , and History.Fingers crossed and thanks for the advice.Cathy

Well then I would definitely say the Liberal Arts Course in the liberties if he doesnt get into another university.
    cathy01 wrote: »
    oh , another question , when should he apply to Liberties? And what is menat by

And for the Trinity Access Programme, you must fit into a certain social criteria set out by the college

Thanks again,Cathy

He should apply to the liberties on their first round of interviews, courses fill up quickly!
    And I meant that entry to the TAP course s determined by the income of the household you lve in, your parents occupations etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cathy, as someone has pointed out, you don't apply to Liberties through the CAO (Central Applications Office) .... that applies only to third level colleges.

Sounds like your son intends to apply to Trinity through the CAO, and also apply separately to Liberties for the Trinity Access Programme in case he doesn't get enough points to get straight into Trinity ... as a back-up plan, in fact.

Not a bad idea to be honest ... sounds like he's looking at all his options.

• Advertisement

exactly what Randy said, sounds like a boy with his head screwed on, I don't think you have much to worry about :)

Thanks all for the help with this.Your all very Good.
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mel12345

any one know what day liberities college start back on im a bit confused....:(

Advertisement