Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog ate chocolates

Options
  • 27-08-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

having got my gf a box of lindor (or lindet dunno the spelling) chocolates we left them on the kitchen table while we were out for dinner. As my bitch is in heat we have her inside and when we came back we saw the box on the floor and not a choco to be seen, she musta eaten from 10-15. As they are wrapped in foil i amjust wondering will she be able to pass the foil in her "mess".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The foil on chocolates in my experience is very light and would rip and crush easily. She should pass it easily. I wouldn't worry about the foil so much as the chocolate.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, and your dog has eaten a significant amount of it. Have a look at the dog this morning. If the dog is in any way acting off - tiredness, restlessness, sickness, panting, anything at all, then go immediately to a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Choc is toxic for dogs and the dark choc is much worse than milk choc so if its a box of dark choc i would be very careful and maybe contact your vet and ask them what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

she was okay this morning, back to her nomal self, contacted the vet and explained what happened he said to moniter he and see if she is acting strangely and if so to bring her in to see the vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

My dog has done this so many times! I doubt a ton of choc would poison him! As the vet said watch your dog but I am sure she will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My aunt's dog recently ate a packet of large chocolate chip cookies. Two days of extreme hyperactivity and diarrhoea ensued. Not to be taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

FAYESY wrote: »
    My dog has done this so many times! I doubt a ton of choc would poison him!

A bar of baking chocolate most likely would :eek:

it's not actually chocolate that is poisoning to dogs but a component of cacao called theobromine. Theobromine is what makes us happy and our dogs dead. Theobromine content is highest in pure cacao, baking chocolate and really dark chocolate. The sweeter/milkier the chocolate, the lower the risk
    Serious poisoning happens more frequently in domestic animals, which metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, and can easily consume enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning. The most common victims of theobromine poisoning are dogs,[3][4][5] for which it can be fatal. Cats and especially kittens are even more sensitive.[citation needed] However, cats are less prone to eating chocolate since they are unable to taste sweetness.[6] Many other animals are also susceptible to chocolate poisoning.

The first signs of theobromine poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and eventually death.

Theobromine is especially toxic to horses, dogs, parrots, voles, and cats because they are unable to metabolize the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours. Medical treatment performed by a veterinarian involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion and administration of benzodiazepines or barbiturates for seizures, antiarrhythmics for heart arrhythmias, and fluid diuresis.

A typical 20 kg (44 lb) dog will normally experience intestinal distress after eating less than 240 g (8.5 oz) of dark chocolate, but won't necessarily experience bradycardia or tachyarrhythmia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram (1.1 lb) of milk chocolate. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 g of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity.[citation needed] For example, a typical 25 gram (1 oz) baker's chocolate bar would be enough to bring out symptoms in a 20 kg (44 lb) dog.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can tell you from experience that foil will pass thru! :pac: The amount of celebrations wrappers we 'found' at xmas was unbelivable!! Our stuff the wrappers down the armchair culprit was easy to catch though cos only one person in the house eats the sweets that the wrappers were from! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I know a boxer who scoffed a big (really big) jar of Roses one Christmas Eve. He was fine but cue multi-coloured poops for the following week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I had a CKC when I was younger who can only be described as a chocoholic. She ate so many boxes of chocolate on me when I was a child, especially at Christmas time. All that would be left was the cardboard box; everything else, including light foil and paper wrapping, was gone. Luckily she was ok and never suffered ill effects from it, but it would be best to keep an eye on your dog for a few days to make sure they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We often give ours a small piece of chocolate as a treat, and I mean a small piece. It doesnt seem to do him any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

jesus, when i was a kid our little jack russell got stuffed with chocolate at christmas :o we didn't know it was harmful for him. and it was always the dark chocolate and coffee sweets that nobody liked! ah poor fred, he started turning his snot up to them after a marathon chocolate feast one day.

on a side note, our rottweiler ate many a surgical glove in her day. her poop came out with fingers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Happened to my fox terrier before at Easter. Ate a whole Easter egg. Didn't touch the foil. She was OK but not allowed in for a week or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Our last dog was a complete chocaholic. Didn't seem to do her any harm at all. She was never sick and lived to the ripe old age of 14

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

My labrador was very partial to a chocolate orange - nicked the whole one several times but lived to a ripe old age - she never ate the foil though! She also had a scam going with the cat - cat would open the fridge and dog would dive in and clear the fridge of everything including butter - wrappers only evidence left - foiled their late night burglaries with a bit of sellotape!!!! :D

Advertisement