Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding the wires

Options
  • 27-08-2010 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have no mobile phone reception in my apartment so, to solve the problem, I bought a signal booster. When I got it, I tried it out by propping the outside bit up against the balcony and the inside bit inside and Hallelujah those magic little bars appeared on my phone.

Problem solved you'd think, only now I have a black cable to hide the length of my living room. So what do I do? Other suggestions welcome but here's where I stand:
    1. Open holes in the ceiling and pass the cable along somehow then plaster them over again.
    2. Open holes in the partition walls (longer route but probably do-able).
    3. Floor is brand new wood floor so NO GO there!
    4. Other?:rolleyes:

I know I'm hoping for a miracle here but basically I want to know if there's a way of openning a ceiling and closing it over again while leaving absolutely NO mark? Or am I dreaming? Will I never have a signal?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

depending which way your ceiling joists are running you could fish the cable along from one hole at the balcony end to the other end and then down the partition wall beside one of the sockets. if your skirtings are white you could clip the cable along the top of the skirting or fix self adhesive mini trunking on top of the skirting and put the cable in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Either the ceiling or the partition walls are going to have cross struts that will stop you threading the cable through easily. Is there any chance the skirting board would come off? Otherwise the self-adhesive trunking, while not amazing in appearance, is ok and would do the least damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

what about popping off the skirting boards and routing out a channel deep enough for the cable across the back of it to place the cable in and that should hide the majority of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

why does the wire have to go the length of the room. is it because of the socket? if so, you could get a sparks out to fit a new one near the balcony

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Leatherman

Let me guess, an iPhone!

My signal is terrible indoors, let us know how the signal holds up over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

kitser wrote: »
    why does the wire have to go the length of the room. is it because of the socket? if so, you could get a sparks out to fit a new one near the balcony

Then the sparks will come on here asking how can he hide the wire going to the new socket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Thanks for all the help. The problem is with all phones. The apartment block is just a signal black spot.

Of the three ideas, fishing in ceiling, removing skirting and trunking. I think the best is the skirting. For some bizarre reason they opted for a black cable which makes no sense at all if you are going to be installing these things indoors (or even on white walls outdoors!)

As for how the signal is holding up, it seems fine if you point the antenna in the correct direction and stay in the same room as the inside antenna. It's not as hot in other rooms as it claims to be on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I'm not sure if it's best practice to wire behind skirting, around architraves etc, you could always ask an electrician for their input.

Could you open up the unit and rewire it with a white cable? Or even better contact the seller, according to their website "We value your feedback".

Advertisement