Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on how to attach stove to fireplace safely

Options
  • 26-08-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I have a standard fireplace which has a cast iron inset around the current gas fire.

I would like to take out the gas fire and put in a stand alone Stanley Oisin solid fuel stove. The ideas is that I would put the flu straight out the back of the Stanley in the chimney and then seal around it with fire cement. The current chimney is a 9 inch flu.

The questions I have are:
    1 Are Stanleys a good stove.
    2 I have been told by a stove sales man to just put the flu straight in the chimney without a right angle going up the chimney. Is that ok, or should I have a right angle going a few inches up the chimney, or even all the way to the top of the chimney ? I know these flu systems can cost thousands ?
    3 Will there be a big build up of soot in the base of the chimney if we dont put a flu all the way up the chimney ?
    4 Are inset stoves a safer option as the carbon m etc has a better chance to go straight up the chimney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Do a search on boards.ie for "flue". There are several threads on the subject, but the best advice I can give is to make sure you get somebody who REALLY knows what theyre doing to fit it. Not only will that ensure that your stove works as efficiently as possible, but it will also ensure that you dont suffocate from carbon monoxide poisoning!

E.

Advertisement