Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cocker spaniel injured her leg

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My cocker spaniel (5 months) just injured herself. she was just being hyper, trying to climb a wall slightly too high for her and fell.

She is now on 3 legs since 17.30

Went to the vet inmmediately who said it was qiet loose and it could be a ligament or something wrong with a bone which would require immediate surgery.

I have an appointment in the morning at 9.30 for an x-ray she said if it's something to do witha ligament we could immobolise it with a bandage but she might still require surgery in the future.

I am so worried, it;s not even funny. If she does require surgery in the future because she has something worng with her joints or ligaments, does that mean she'll never be able to run and be a dog?

Is she only on 3 legs for a while? what if a ligament is broken? I'm confused.

Does anybody have similar experience to share ?

She doesn't seem to be in pain and didn't cry but now she is her bed and seems very quiet, which is unlike her at this time ... :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

hi, just a wee bit of information on the ligaent issue. If the cruciate ligament is broken i would consider getting it fixed asap. If not the two bones will rub together and cause arthritis which is a proplem. The sooner it is repair the better!!
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Stop panicking . Wait for the x ray and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

thanks for your advice guys,

she's at the vet now, getting her back between 4 and 7 p.m. ... will give you an update as soon a spossible but I have a bad feeling it's a ligament ....

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah falabo I hope she'll be ok. Leaving them there is the worst part! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes torn her cruciate it can be repaired but it takes months of rest (about 6) to get them back to normal.

Exercise has to be seriously restricted and with no off lead exercise for a few months. Literally just out for the toilet and back in again.

I know several dogs who have torn their cruciate that make full recoveries but it takes a lot of time to heal properly.

• Advertisement

ok my beautiful dog is back from the vet. had an x-ray which revealed there is nohing broken but she will need to go to the orthopedic to check if it's the ligament.

She is now the same dog again, wanting to play all the time with her sister but I am monitoring so it's only very gentle. She has a bandage but is still on 3 legs; however it looks like she's able to barely put her foot on the floor at times ....

do you think it's a sign there is no torn ligament ? if she's able to put her foot on the floor in a fe days, would it mean it was only badly sprained?

I hope ses doesnt go through surgery, I'll know more when I get the appointment with the orthopedic vet.

Please feel free to share your experience.

Poor little Roux !!! I have attached a picture of Roux and Maxi

45068_422136480946_595910946_5342533_6653353_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

One of my regrets with our guy was waiting 2 months for an appointment with UCD - I wish I had of made the trip down to Cork instead so we knew what we were dealing with sooner! Make sure you do plenty of training with her to use up her energy so she doesn't jump around too much and do more damage, keep her occupied with kongs and nlyabones etc. I got brilliant little boot things to go over our guys dressing when he was allowed have walks again - he had to keep the dressing dry because he'd cut his paw thou so not sure if this is an issue for you. He was bandaged up for 4 weeks when it was raining all the time!
    Another problem we ran into was that when he was in pain and being examined one time the vet hit a sore spot and he cried after this he got really nervous and and defensive when we went to the vets to the point he had to be muzzled. This was when he was getting examined for his sore legs and needed lots of xrays so was being left in. If you see this happening with your dog I'd advise practicing handling with her eg have her in her bed and pet/examine her etc and loads of treats and praise. I was lucky in a way when he cut his paw because we were back and forward loads of times (it wouldn't heal for weeks) so he got used to us going to the vets for a quick wound check and coming home with me so he's much more relaxed now and wags his tail at the vet and lets her pet him. :pac:

Hi all

well thanks for you input, got some great info here. I took my girl to a different vet today, she had an artroscopia done so was under general anastetic

well I suppose that's what was done because she was put to sleep but on the receipt it says:

- GA dod (general Anastectic)
    - X-ray 1st plate
    - 3x X-Ray Additional plate

??

Anyway the pictures now ahve to be sent to the orthopedic surgeon for analysis and I will get a definate answer of what's wrong and what can be done on monday.

The vet said "the hock seems to be fractured"

does anybody know if that is the case is it something serious, waht about the treatment and recovery time etc ?

I just hope she will be able to walk again without limping. ..

Many thanks for reading and taking the time to give me your opinions, I;m still very worried . . . .

Advertisement