Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short story collections

Options
  • 26-08-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭

I've recently enjoyed a few short story collections: Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors, Bryson's I'm a Stranger Here Myself (a collection of newspaper columns) and Reynold's Zima Blue. I'm also a fan of collections of Sherlock Holmes stories.

Has anyone any recommendations of collections like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Al Sarrantonio and Neil Gaiman-edited collection Stories is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

JD Salinger's story collection For Esme, With Love and Squalor (or Nine Stories in the US) is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion. That man has a fantastic grasp of the ways and emotions of human beings.

I've also heard great things about Roald Dahl's adult short stories and Frank O'Connor, though I haven't read these myself, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yeah, I read Dahl's short stories as a teenager. I liked them, but I hesitate to make a recommendations based on my taste back when I thought The Matrix was the greatest film ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

"The Nimrod Flip-out" and "The Busdriver who wanted to be God" by Etgar Keret are well worth reading, modern, fairly skewed stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I have a Frank O'Connor collection that I read every year or so, love those stories, it was brilliant when we'd get to do one of them at school

I also came across a W.B. Yeats collection of Irish fairy tales that he gathered while travelling the country. They're great stories and not the type that you would tell to your kids, in these the fairies and what not are manipulative and treacherous and best avoided lest they put a hump on your back or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Dostoyevsky was a master of the short story. Contained in his short stories are the themes of many of his larger works in a much more digestable form. A collection I had and loved was the modern library's "the best short fiction of fyodor dostoyevsky".

Also, if you are into science fiction I'd also reccommend George R.R Martin's collection "dreamsongs" , I think I preferred these to his song of ice and fire series even. Plus they are not all so fantasy/science fictiony. Anyone can get into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

John Cheever's Short Stories
    Ficciones - Borges
    Invisible Cities - Calvino
    Shirley Jackson's
    Flannery O'Conner
    Raymond Carver
    Rudyard Kipling's
    Chekhov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

21 stories, by Graham Greene, was out of print for a long time, but is now available again, its a great read, all 21 stories are very enjoyable, with some great twists as well.

NO Comebacks, by Frederick Forsyth is also worth reading, 1 or 2 of them are set in Ireland as well, as he was living here at the time.

Advertisement