Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to make wooden floors look less......wooden

• 26-08-2010 12:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to do up a house that is in bad need of some modernizing. Back when everyone was throwing out carpets a few years ago this house too lost all its carpety warmth. So now I have a house with all wooden floors and I'm sick of them.

Is it possible to paint wooden floors? I can't really put down a carpet as I have bad asthma. I think I remember someone once painting them cream, but I possibly imagined it.

Any suggestions? Or should I just invest in some rugs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

I find rugs are great. I have oak flooring in my living room and it seemed very cold with the wood furniture but them my beau bought me a fluffy rug to go under my coffee table and its much homelier now!! I do know Ikea have a very large selection of rugs in at the moment (if your around the Dublin area) but I guess many furniture/interior stores would have them too.

Good luck!!

PS: I wouldn't go painting them, they look awful IMO.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yea, I had a hunch painting them would be the wrong way to go. Just trying to get ideas how to make the place look more homely with my minimal furnishings.

Thanks for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

I'll try and take a photo this evening and PM it to a so you can have a look... I'll do a 'before' and 'after' shot!!!:D

niamh4626 wrote: »
    I'll try and take a photo this evening and PM it to a so you can have a look... I'll do a 'before' and 'after' shot!!!:D

Brilliant thanks! I was going to post a photo of my living but I felt I get some abuse over how terrible it looks (I haven't moved in yet!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have wooden floors everywhere except the stairs (allergies).

When I moved in I revarnished some floors and painted others. I love it. They look better then I could have imagined. A house can look warm with wooden floors, it just depends on the furniture and the colour of the walls.

I also think that painted floors can make a place look more modern.

Google painted floors and you will see some gorg options.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've looked into painted wooden floors. The two main recommendations I see are paint if you don't intend on reselling and/or if it's an old cottage style house. I fit the bill on both of those counts so I may consider it.

Advertisement