Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glossy Ibis in Dublin

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just to let you know that a pair of Glossy Ibis have been located in Dublin yesterday in Rogerstown and again seen in Portmarnock this morning. A really unusal bird to see (although there has been a long staying one in Tacumshin) so if you have free time you should try and get out to see it.

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/24542/Glossy_Ibis.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Well thank you stevensi for letting me know at least!! Just back in from seeing them-absolutely mind blowing. Never seen one let alone two! Still there at half 1. There was three lads there with scopes so hopefully some good photos will be going up soon. They were hanging around with the Egrets and Mallards. They didn't seem too worried about the kids milling around in the field with the rest of the ducks! Genuinely happy at seeing them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cool - the only other time I saw this species was in Cyprus nearly 10 years ago:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Cheers stevensi - headed down on saturday and caught sight of the two of them in flight.
    Sadly not up close and personal in front of texaco, but still Amazing to see - and kinda weird to see such a rare bird flying metres away from a Dublin bus and petrol station!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

According to the website for the Tolka branch of Birdwatch Ireland, the adult was ringed as a nestling in Coto Donana, Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are ibis's other than these common over here? I've seen a white one in Kilbogget Park now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

are ibis's other than these common over here? I've seen a white one in Kilbogget Park now and again

Could be an escape of something like a Sacred Ibis from someones bird collection. Theres a colony in France(Camarague) established for the last few decades from just such a source.

PS: Theres currently a Glossy Ibis @ Pollardstown Fen near Newbridge:)

Advertisement