Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C2 Reg

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Could anyone tell me how to go about finding out if a builder is C2 Registered
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ask him to show you his C2 registration card.
    It is same size as a credit card and will show PPS number and valid date as well as his photograph on it.
    Any "decent" builder will have no issue letting you see it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ask for a copy of his "cert of authorisation" (C2) from revenue.....

the C2 card is a credit card type with a photo id

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MsBob

Thanks for that :)

Another builder has advised us that our builder is not registered. Im not sure what this means.

Is there any other way I can check other than asking him?

Would anyone be able to tell me what would be a reasonable lenght of time to complete a snag list?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

MsBob wrote: »
    Another builder has advised us that our builder is not registered. Im not sure what this means.
    Having a C2 number wont improve his workmanship and really and truly there is no need for him to show you this unless you are availing of some form of a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

A C2 is completely unnecessary for a domestic build. Unless a contractor does subcontract work for other builders or Public works or some grant aided work it is not a necessity for him to have a C2. Im in business for years without a C2 and have never needed one as I do very little subcontract work. Im not going into the technicalities of the construction tax system here. It sounds to me like that other builder is a bit of a schoolyard telltale. It is none of his business whether or not anybody has a C2. It is much more important to check references and insurances and maybe go and see some other work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If he can take a cheque & give you a receipt with name, address & vat number, he is legit. It is not a requirement to have a VAT number to be in business but it would be nearly impossible for a builder to genuinely stay under the VAT threshold.
    A C2 is a sub contractors cert allowing main contractors to pay sub contractor without holding back tax etc. No need for a small builder to have one.

If however your builder is attempting to charge VAT & cant give a receipt (with VAT details), he is a conman of the highest order & should be reported.
    So, to sum up. you need receipt for payment.He needs to come up with the various insurances required (very important) before starting. There is also H & S requirements which must be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MsBob

Thanks for all the advice :)

Advertisement