Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self managing house renovation

Options
  • 25-08-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm starting renovation of a house I just bought which will include a 2 storey side extension and a rear extension. I'll be managing the build - this for two reasons - (1) to keep costs down and have more money for the renovations and (2) because I'm generally very hands on and really want to make this mine

I do have the benefit of some friends in the right industries and right now I'm working with a friend who's an architect - he's doing the the plans and sorting the planning application. I also have friends in the building trade who will do the actual building/wiring/plumbing/etc.

At this point we're resolving the actual layout - lots of back and forwards with the architect with updates to prelim plans in an effort to get the ideal layout and final size of the extensions and individual rooms.

While waiting for this to be resolved (he's away at the minute) I wanted to start getting a list of all the things I should start pricing construction related items such as windows, insulation, etc.

As I said above, I'm very hands on and I want to keep the momentum moving forward so there are minimal delays (in as much as is humanly possible) - trouble is I've never done this before so while I can organise some of the straight forward big stuff like windows, I'm not sure about other stuff like plumbing, wiring, insulation, etc.

Should I just start looking at the makeup of a house from the ground up, e.g. foundations, blocks, etc? Should I look at it on a room by room basis? Or is there a definitive guide available on line for the kind of things I should be gathering and pricing now?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You should do what smart experienced small scale builders do - hire a QS to help cost the "builders items". Absolute false economy not to . Avoid your enthusiasm and energies being diverted down dead ends .

For "client items" - heres an initial list ( in reverse build sequence ) . QS can't really guide accuratly as it depends on your taste / retail selections ( or your better-halfs ;) )

light fittings
    floor finishes ( suggest total m2 x €50 budget for materials - ask QS to guide labour)
    wall tiling
    wardrobes
    kitchen fittings
    utility fittings
    sanitary fittings
    Electrical fit out *
    Plumbing ( water supply , internal drainage and heating ) *
    Windows

* Ask your architect to prepare layouts for pricing . Otherwise you will get varying qoutes that you will not realistically be able to compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭soc$

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You should do what smart experienced small scale builders do - hire a QS to help cost the "builders items". Absolute false economy not to . Avoid your enthusiasm and energies being diverted down dead ends .

For "client items" - heres an initial list ( in reverse build sequence ) . QS can't really guide accuratly as it depends on your taste / retail selections ( or your better-halfs ;) )

light fittings
    floor finishes ( suggest total m2 x €50 budget for materials - ask QS to guide labour)
    wall tiling
    wardrobes
    kitchen fittings
    utility fittings
    sanitary fittings
    Electrical fit out *
    Plumbing ( water supply , internal drainage and heating ) *
    Windows

* Ask your architect to prepare layouts for pricing . Otherwise you will get varying qoutes that you will not realistically be able to compare

Thanks - I do know a QS so I might ask him about costing the individual builders items.

I have a lot of the broad headings you've mentioned under "client items" - I was splitting things into "construction items" (i.e. specific to the actually building like blocks, foundations, insulation, etc) and "finishing items" (e.g. bathroom fixtures & fittings, tiles, carpets, timber flooring, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

soc$

I'm in the middle of managing our self build renovation.

If you intend to supply all the materials yourself? i would suggest some of these items

1. get a list of all your local waste people and get best skip prices. your renovation may need a lot of demolishing. this is all costly to remove.
    2. builders providers - get a list of all local ones. either consider setting up accounts with one or keep details of all of them
    3. Price blocks/sand/cement/concrete with all local suppliers. find out how they expect to be paid i.e cod etc
    4. price timber - all sizes for joists/stud walls/bridging etc
    5. Plastering - what type of finish you want

you need to get familiar with the suppliers and have a feel for where the items will be the cheapest. get recommendations aswell.

I think look at ground up (while keeping the overall finish and budget in mind)

Insulation - another important area that you need to have investigated thoroughly and made your choices - are you prepared to invest in external insulation? are you dry lining/airtighting the house/ putting in a HRV/ floor insulation. eg. for HRV some early work is required before 1st fix plumbing. Can you get a grant, this may impact your decisions

that's my tuppence worth.........its time consuming but great to be involved and know exactly what is going into your house and watching it come together

Advertisement