Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I want to move out of my current place. I signed a six month lease when I moved in and have been here now over a year. How much notice do I need to give?

I read in one place it's 42 days when you've been in over a year. This is more than I was expecting but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Anything else I should know before I give notice?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yes you're reading it right, you will need to give 42 days notice in writing.

Have a look at the Threshold website for a draft notice of termination

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=96&page=256

Not all landlord's are underhanded, using your last months rent or not giving the proper notice can get you into trouble and end up costing you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

Through some heroic acts of clumsiness I've already said goodbye to my deposit :o

I have a fairly dim view of my current landlord and the agency he uses but all the same I don't want to do anything improper.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Yes you're reading it right, you will need to give 42 days notice in writing.

Have a look at the Threshold website for a draft notice of termination

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=96&page=256

Not all landlord's are underhanded, using your last months rent or not giving the proper notice can get you into trouble and end up costing you money.

All right. I'll need to pay, roughly, 3 weeks rent to cover what's left of that notice period minus what I've already paid for (if you get me).

After I give notice do I just give that fraction of rent that makes up the end of the notice period or am I liable for two months because I'd been paying by the month?

i.e. can I just pay 3/4 of a month's rent when it's coming up to the end of my tenancy?

As for the landlord, he is undoubtedly a creep so much so I'm completely optimistic about the next one, I think it's statistically impossible to meet another one so bad. :pac:

I won't go into details but a Frank Spencer moment early in the tenancy that took care of the whole thing. The damage was repaired and I got an invoice pretty much to the value of whole deposit. So I'm not looking for or expecting a deposit. (I won't argue over change either)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Only pay rent for those 42 days even if you're paying monthly. So a months rent and a half roughly.

Are you sure you've lost all of your deposit?

If your landlord isn't great then send your notice by registered post so you have proof you sent it on whatever date.

Hope you get a nicer landlord next time.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Just wanted to double-check 42 days thing as it seemed a bit long and maybe thought it might only apply if you were trying to break a lease.

I'm going to have to send the notice to the agency -I don't anything but the landlord's name.

Fingers crossed for next one, yeah :pac:

Sorry, that was a bit muddled. I've just paid one month's (in advance, as usual). So I just wanted to know if I had to pay a whole month's a rent again or could just pay whatever the balance will be to get me to 42 days.

Advertisement