Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juv Peregrine Falcon (was - Falcon ID please)

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there,

Just wondering can anyone confirm ID on this bird? I'm wondering is it a juvenile Saker falcon, as I've seen juvenile peregrines fledging and think this bird is too light in colour. It was found on the southeast coast of England exhausted in the town centre (right by the sea) and brought to the local vets. It's not ringed or microchipped so the thinking is that it's either a juvenile peregrine from the cliffs nearby, or that it's a migrating juvenile Saker blown off course. I've done a bit of research and it seems Sakers migrate from Asia and Eastern Europe south and south west to the Mediterranean and North Africa so not too unreasonable to suggest it could end up on the south east coast of England.

What do you think, I know there's some people here very good at identifying birds of prey. I think the plan at the vets is to feed it up over the next few days and release it anyway. As if it's a wild bird it needs to complete its migration, and it's not likely to be captive bred as no rings or microchip, possibly an illegal import escapee? I've been told there are peregrines in the area but this bird says Saker to me. Any help much appreciated and I'll pass on the info.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Disclaimer: guessing here, but the pale feathering at the base of the bill, heavy "moustache" and the pale "trouser" feathers would suggest either a young Lanner or a young Peregrine. Sakers tend to have paler moustaches and darker "trousers." To be honest, Peregrines can be rather variable in terms of paleness so that would be my "get off the fence" answer. The scarcity of Lanners would also push me further towards a pale young Peregrine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Juv Peregrine falcon. Broad moustacial stripe rule out Lanner falcon,

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

And that's why I love IDs! Always something to learn. :cool:

Advertisement