Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel shed Insulation

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure this in the right Forum so mods if it needs to be moved please move it (apologies in advance)

I have a steel shed erected its 20x12 it has a non drip roof and a side pedestrian door and a roller door at the front .I am looking to use it as a part time garage and a workshop as well as a part time gym i have got water and power supplied to it and a mains drain just in front of it.I am looking to insulate it mainly the walls i was told that if iget 40mm areoboard and plywood this would keep it warm enough during the winter (I also plan to get a pot bellied stove).Is this sufficient i am looking to keep costs down and keep the inside space of the shed as large as possible.Anybody have any alternative suggesting I can maybe get building supplies of the builder onsite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If it is just coated profiled metal sheeting on the roof and walls, then you will need more then 40mm insulation.

Is there insulation in the floor? what is the makeup of the floor?

Any insulation you are putting around the inside will need to be around the entire envelope, ie., floor, walls and ceilings. The space will then need controlled heat and ventilation.

Any cold steel surfaces protruding through to the inside will be covered in condensation, which could lead to mould growth. The roller door will be a problem area as it is likely to be thin skinned and badly sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Barry walsh

Hi Tom,Its just steel cladding with a concrete floor it is vented at the top also the roof has two skylights in plastic sheeting the sealing is not to bad I plan to get antother 1/2 inch of concrete to seal the floor making sure water does not get into the shed.

What would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Sorry to butt in on someone else's thread but I've got a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread...

I'm just after installing a metal shed and I want to insulate the roof, and possibly also the walls, with the main purpose of stopping condensation drips.

The shed will only be used to store bikes (we have a wooden shed for the garden bits n' pieces) and I just want to keep the interior as dry as possible. I will also fit louvred vents to the shed to boost ventilation.

I'm thinking of using the 25mm thick insulation to line the roof, will this be sufficient to stop the roof from dripping or should I go with something thicker?

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

Advertisement