Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey and cheese?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

We've all had wine and cheese. But whiskey and cheese?
    The Irish Whiskey Society are running an innovative tasting tomorrow night in Brooks Hotel that might be of interest to any whiskey fans, cheese fans, locavores or food matchers out there.
    They're matching half a dozen Irish whiskeys with artisan Irish cheeses sourced by Fallon and Byrne.
    Should be a good night, and intriguing too.
    The IWS tastings are great value anyway, with the chance to sample half a dozen whiskeys for the price of only three or four decent drams in a bar. And this time round, they're throwing in some excellent cheeses too.
    More info here for anyone who might be interested in popping along:
    http://www.irishwhiskeysociety.com/events/2010/2010-08-26.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What a great idea!
    If I were in Dublin, I'd definitely be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If it goes well, they might do it again sometime.
    I know the IWS are planning tastings around the country in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The whiskeys are going to be interesting too and not run of the mill stuff so well worth it for the whiskey alone.

I'm not overly keen on foo with my whiskey but I have found on the odd occasion when I have the nibbles late at night cheese actually goes pretty well with whiskey.

Won't be there myself me being an out of town-er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

any chance you could post up the details on here as the iws site is blocked for me in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

any chance you could post up the details on here as the iws site is blocked for me in work?

From their website:
    Date: Thursday, August 26th
    Time: Doors open: 7:30pm (please wait in the bar before this time so we can set up the room)
    Tasting begins: 8:00pm sharp
    Where: Brooks Hotel,
    Drury Street,
    Dublin 2.
    Tickets: Members: €15
    Non-members: €22.50
    Please reserve and pay for your place on our booking page.

Event Description

The Society has teamed up with the expert fromageristes at Fallon & Byrne to present the world's first ever Irish whiskey and cheese matching evening.

Irish cheeses have long forged an admirable partnership with wines of various hues, demonstrating the range of complexity and diversity for which they have become renowned worldwide.

But after extensive research, the Society believes we have discovered an even more rewarding marriage of food and drink, based on stringent locavore principles.

The Irish Whiskey Society has proven beyond doubt that Ireland produces a spirit of infinite depth and variety. Does this country have a foodstuff that can match such complexity and diversity? Indeed it does. Skilled artisans and contentedly grazing animals collaborate to convert our lush grasslands into a profusion of dairy delicacies.

We will sample half a dozen Irish cheeses, to be introduced by our friends at Fallon & Byrne. For each of these cheeses, the Society has carefully chosen a matching Irish whiskey, with the partnerships selected to highlight the unique characteristics of both spirit and cheese.

You will be amazed how elegantly the flavours combine to produce an experience that is significantly greater than the sum of its parts.

We hope you can join us for this exciting evening and that you will agree with us, when the plates are empty and the glasses drained, that whiskey and cheese have been apart for long enough.

This unique evening of palate-tingling delight will take place on Thursday August 26th in Brooks Hotel, Dublin 2. We expect it to attract a lot of interest, so be sure to book your place early.

Booking page here: http://bookwhen.com/iws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

jeez (or should that be cheese) that was quick! thanks a bunch, sounds like a great idea will now try and round up a few pals.

Advertisement