Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture in DIT Qualification?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I just need a simple question answered, what qualification do you receive after completing the 5 year architecture course in DIT? The website and prospectus are unhelpful and contradicting but from what I can see you get a BArch. Why then in UCD do you get a MArch after the same amount of time? Is it just that I'm confused and you get the same qualification whichever you go to or is there a difference I somehow overlooked when filling out the CAO?

Please don't reply unless you know for absolute certain because my future is riding on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

UCD have changed it so its more in line with other European unis. There is talk of DIT doing the same. The down side is that anyone doing Architecture in UCD will now have to pay graduate fees to do the last two years of their course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lessismore

As far as I can see the website and prospectus don't contradict one another, they all say that the award is a level 8 honours degree - B.Arch

There are plans to introduce 3+2 M.Arch similar to what UCD have just started but that won't start until next year at the earliest as far as i know

The M.Arch vs B.Arch question isn't really that significant, what's important is that they are both recognised as Part 2 qualifications for the RIAI

If your future really does rely on this answer though, go straight to the source:
    Orna Hanly
    Assistant Head of School
    Phone: 402 3689
    E-mail: Orna.Hanly@dit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fitz111

I think DIT are still uncertain at the moment as the 3 year BA and 2 year MA means that students will need to pay fees for the masters. At the moment students that are doing the 5 year BA are doing a night course for 6 months a couple of nights a week to get the MA

Advertisement