Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on advertising along motorways

Options
  • 25-08-2010 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This today in the Clonmel Nationalist:

DSCF3313.jpg

They were told to remove a big, horrible trailer from a field, and rightly so. Personally I think if Kilcoran were to improve their food, customer service and gym facilities, they would do better business. The NRA cannot provide signage for every little business along the motorway network, nor can every little business provide their own signage along the motorways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Galway CC are planning a clampdown as well.
    No more field advertising, says County Council

Galway Advertiser, August 17, 2010.
    Galway County Council has announced a clampdown on unauthorised advertising structures that have been placed on private lands along the M6 Galway to Dublin motorway in the county.
    Since last December, when the new motorway was officially opened, numerous advertising hoardings mainly on lorry trailers have been towed onto private lands in view of motorway users.
    In a statement, the Council said no planning permissions for advertising hoardings have been granted along the motorway route and that all unauthorised structures will be the subject of action under planning legislation procedures.
    It also says that having advertisement hoardings on wheels does not exempt them from planning requirements.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/29806

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yup Cork are doing so as well.

What started as a discreet trailer park, then two, then three, then four and then they started to outdo each other ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's actually a truck on it's back near Athenry with a mount built under it and everything.
    It's a pretentious issue no doubt. We all remember the Ad posters alongside the N routes and now this form of advertising will start to fade, so do the businesses just try to concentrate on the locals or think up a new strategy such as radio and television adverts.
    But certainly these artic parkings have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I always think companies that advertise in this way are somewhat second-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Here's an idea - get some companies to sponsor the cost of VMSs on motorways, in return for which they get a fixed amount of free advertising on the signs.

Let's say the Kilcoran hotel sponsored a couple of VMSs near junction 11. The signs could be used to advertise the hotel's location and facilities for 30 minutes out of every hour (could be varied).

The rest of the time it would display road/traffic information and road safety messages.

The change from advertising to road/traffic messages could happen every 2 minutes or so.

The hotel's VMS message could say 'Kilcoran Lodge Hotel. Food, drink, toilets. Use Exit 11' or something similar. It could be varied to suit the hotel, so long as the message was not distracting to road users.

The adverts could be totally suspended on days when there's fog or some other situation where the VMS is needed to display a road/traffic message constantly.

Edit: just how many years did this hotel have to prepare for the opening of the motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This "campaign" is typical. Someone comes on and says that there is only one sign and it will save jobs. There is only one sign because other law abiding people did not erect a sign, if it becomes a free for all then there will be 20 signs. As for the jobs, a given job may be affected by these signs, but the total number of jobs won't. If people don't go to one petrol station or B&B then they will go to another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

corktina wrote: »

I know its like business located on side streets paying some poor mistfortune to stand at the junction holding a sign or worse still dressed up as a mascot while holding it! I have seen this often in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Stinicker wrote: »
    I know its like business located on side streets paying some poor mistfortune to stand at the junction holding a sign or worse still dressed up as a mascot while holding it! I have seen this often in Cork!

And galway, there all over shop st.

I like the vms idea but the a problem might arise that motorists may come to associate them with adverts and mentaly block them out potentially ignoring important traffic info mixed in with the ads?

They should just allow large advertising billboards in selected areas and have done with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

About time that they clamped down on this muck. They should clamp down on illegal advertising off the motorway network as well. So many useful signs are lost in a sea of illegally erected dirt pointing the way to the nearest B&B or tile wharehouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I like the vms idea but the a problem might arise that motorists may come to associate them with adverts and mentaly block them out potentially ignoring important traffic info mixed in with the ads?

Different text colours: green for ads (Hotel X. Use Next Exit), amber for generic & non-urgent road-safety messages (Keep Your Distance etc), red for dangerous situations (Slow Down. Fog Ahead), possibly combined with CAPITALS and flashing for traffic/road safety info...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Safety/info signs should never be dual use with advertising. What use is a traffic warning or safety message if it is displaying an ad as you pass by? Half the people won't see the important message, just the ad, which could just lead to accidents due to unseen messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »

+1

So are they going to prevent farmers parking any of their machinery in their fields of just trailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The amount of illegal advertising in fields beside the M6 near the Loughrea junction is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

fields of just trailers?

Now that's a crop!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Now that's a crop!

:mad::rolleyes:

:p

Advertisement