Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fear of Moving

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So I've changed livery yards over the years for all sorts of reasons. With everything there is a trade off but I am a little weary of stupid, awkward or infuriating trade offs.

Looking for some super honest opinions on yards in Maynooth and surrounding areas.

Things Like
    Atmosphere
    Arenas
    Flexibility
    Turnout
    Feeding Regime (do they give supplements when you need them to)

Also tell some of your weird, wonderful and woweful stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

So I've changed livery yards over the years for all sorts of reasons. With everything there is a trade off but I am a little weary of stupid, awkward or infuriating trade offs.

Looking for some super honest opinions on yards in Maynooth and surrounding areas.

Things Like
    Atmosphere
    Arenas
    Flexibility
    Turnout
    Feeding Regime (do they give supplements when you need them to)

Also tell some of your weird, wonderful and woweful stories.

I have found one of the nicest places ever, plus it is run very well, I am happy in the knowledge that my horse is well taken care of! its dunbyrne stud in kilmeague, about 15 or 20 minutes from maynooth i think!

Things Like: The people are lovely, the other liveries are great, we have bar-b-qs, and some social nights!

Atmosphere: Laid back, but very profesional, the staff are always smiling, and i think it brings out smiles on everyone, there is just a real atmosphere of enjoyment about the place, everyone there just seem so content to be around horses!

Arenas: HUGE! the big arena is massive! bigger than the outdoors in coilog, great suface! I am very particular about surfaces for jumping, and the ones here tick all the boxes! there is a smaller 20x40 aswell for the riding school, but liveries can use it too, if there are no lessons, plus set of showjumpsin each arena. There is also a gallops for hacking and fitness work, plus some cross country jumps and more coming

Flexibility: I have always been accomodated, i work late somtimes, so i can go ride at 10 at night and they don't mind, the place never closes!

Turnout: I am on full livery and my horse gets daily turnout, diy liveries can also turnout daily, but do it themselves, paddocks are big, with lots of grass! even with the year in it!

Feeding Regime (do they give supplements when you need them to): yes my horse gets his supplements, and when in full competion swing he gets a lunch time feed aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eeichi_girl

Sounds nice.. just looked at the website too and it looks lovely. Do you know if they have any plans to build an indoor school?

I might pop down shortly to have a goo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

I don't know about am indoor, i have been there since this time last year now, and i haven't missed a roof over my head! but then i love the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I am currently at a small livery yard, just past donadea forest, 15mins away from maynooth. It's called Rosecottage.

They are open from early morning (around 8am) to late at night (I've often gone home at 10pm), There is full use of walker, turn out if needed, large new stables, mucked out daily, they offer full, DIY and grass livery, I'm on full livery. The yard itself is behind a house, so there is always someone there, which gives me great peace of mind that the horses are not left at say 6pm with no one nearby.

You can also get a lesson once a week if needed, I personally don't get them, but I'll join in if I cannot ride any other time, they're very flexible and will happily take you in a lesson time of your choice.

Horses are also ridden for you if asked, my mare is ridden almost every day due to them offering to ride.

The manager is very knowledgeable, I've learnt so much in the past year I've been there, and they do BHS training if interested. There is also a variety of hacking routes, and we often go on hacks if this interests you.

We also go to Kill and Coileog very often, and transport to other events can be arranged.

If you want more info just send me a message and I can give you some numbers and my own if you want, it's a lovely small yard with incredibly friendly people, it's never too busy either so loads of time to just enjoy a long hack or a good chat!

As for feeding, the horses are fed three times a day - early morning around 7am, noonish and then at around 9pm that night. All horses get hard feed every morning, normally half scoop of soaked beet pulp mixed with low feed. They will feed specialty food for you however, my mare is going on special hormonal feed to control her 'urges', and they will happily feed it to her. We also will add garlic if wanted, and will also feed high feed if needed. They will also adjust how much you want the horse to get if asked to. My mare was only on 1/4 scoop when she got a bit fat, but is now on 1/2 scoop of low and high feed with beet pulp.

Advertisement