Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Driving Lesson

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Long time lurker, don't really post that much!

I've my first driving lesson on Saturday, quite nervous tbf!
    I've been driving around car parks with my dad for a few weeks now, but have never gone above 2nd gear or gone out on a public road as I only got the learners permit a few weeks ago.

Any tips on what to expect for the first lesson? Will I be brought out on public roads?

In the midlands if it matters!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

As I type this I'm watching something with Charlie Sheen in it, just thought I'd say.

On your first lesson you'll usually be asked a few questions about the Rules of the Road, then be asked about secondary controls in the car and maybe under the bonnet. S/he'll then bring you to a residential estate usually and just bring you around that for a while provided you can control the pedals within reason, nothing horrendous just general driving (third gear usual max) and parking, with the odd turn here and there. May ask hand signals too.

Other than that just relax and take it all in your stride, don't panic and just drive as if the instructor is your mate or a relative.

Good Luck :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

As stated above, it shouldnt be too intense. Just relax and try enjoy it. Remember your instructor is in full control and can take over instantly if there is a problem. All you need to do is listen and copy, dont try to hard.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

On my first lesson, I drove around a very big industrial estate for the first half (bit of right and left, U turns etc.) and then the instructor took me out on a quiet country road with a few twisty bits. I got up to 4th gear, but it was a quiet, wide-ish road.

Nothing too extreme. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

Same as someone already said, i got brought to an industrial estate and when he saw i could handle it he got me to drive home
    from dublin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My first lesson, my very first should say was about 11-12 years ago. In london, had never driven before at all, lesson invloved going through all the basic controls, and driving around an estate, never getting over 2nd or 3rd, or on the main road. continued having lessons but never took my test, moved here and never really picked it up again till just before christmas last year, apart from the odd bit on back and closed roads.

My fisrt lesson this time around, just before xmas, told the instructer what i knew, and what i done previously, breifly went through the controls, after 10 minutes or so he assesed my driving around a quiet residential and business area, to seen what i had to brush us on. First thing he thought was sterring and clutch control. Took my to an empty care park, done a few figures of 8, was to get use to turning the wheel probably, turning the wheel through my hands, getting to full lock and then opsosite lock, and some clutch control, was on a gentle slope, moving up and down along beside a kerb. He also went through some of the modules and what to expect, and suggested lesson plans. Then drove back in 4th.

Basically, the instucter, like with me, will probably assess you, and take it from there, everyone will be different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement