Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on dog food

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a two year old dog,a mix of a yorkshire terrier and a ****zu.

She is a very fussy eater,and I am finding it very difficult to get her on to dried food.I have tried so many brands,I have mixed the dried food with chicken,beef etc,but she picks it out.

I have been told to leave the food down for half an hour,and then take it away,I have tried this but this has often gone on for 4 days,and I end up giving her some chicken as I presume she is starving at this stage.

Some mentioned to me to pour some oil from a tin of tuna over her food and that this may encourage her,has anyone tried this.

Any advice would be appreciated as I know it important for her health to have some dried food in her diet.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Your problem is you are giving in to the dog, even after 4 days, so he/she knows to hold out as they get the good stuff.

I had a dog who didnt eat for 3 days as he was waiting for the good stuff and wouldnt eat his meal without it so i had to get tough so did the normal routine for 3 days of leaving food down, taking it up and giving nothing until next mealtime and it worked. But it took 3 days and me being tough and not giving in.

A dog will not go hungry, trust me.

What brand of dry food are you feeding? I would try soaking half the meal in warm water for few mins and mix in the other half of the dry food with it and offer it.
    When its warm and moist the flavours come out more so makes it more enticing but you arent actually adding anything to the meal. So try that and see does it work and again, be tough and dont give any other food, or treats so the dog will be hungry when meal times come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 buckled

Hey rocky,

Try change your approach and make her work for her food. Many people, including myself, bring the food to the dog without them having to work for it.Their ancestors would build up an appetite hunting their food and then eat.

Try taking her for a good walk before her meal. Also try getting her to come to the food bowl rather that putting down right in front of her.

I either pour a tin of sardines of some cod liver oil over my dogs nuts and the love it and it also puts a great shine on their coat.

You could also try liquidising the chicken or beef and pouring it over the nuts and let it stand for a half an hour to an hour before giving it to her. Make sure you get your hands in there and get your scent all over everything.

I would definitely continue with taking it food away after a half an hour. A could of days of good exercise will help with her appetite.

I hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

What dry food are you feeding her?
    If its a small breed one it should be fine, but some of the others the nuts are too large for small breeds. Keep going the way you are just try not to give in, the dog will eventually eat.
    I add tuna/Mackerel/sardines in oil to the food about once a week as my dogs love it (1 can between 2 dogs and 2 cats). I also add leftover veg from dinner sometimes(not too much spuds but other veg they love), mashed up and well mixed with the nuts. I do this ramdom days and some weeks not at all so dogs don't expect it now.
    Don't feed any treats in between meals, and try 3 meals a day for now if you can, just take it up in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hungar is a great sauce - if you persist with the "putting down for half an hour and then taking it up" method it will work eventually. A dog will not stave itself if there is food available so you just have to hold out longer than your dog. Don't give your dog anything else other than the bowls of food, otherwise they know something better is coming, and they will eat the food when they get hungary enough. It's all a battle of wills.

If you want to try wetting the food a little, just to get is a little less rock hard and to get is smelling better for your dog. it may get your dog to at least try the food. Once they are willing to eat a little you are flying! After a while you can gradually feed is dryer until it is totally day. Don't offer any treats, other food or scraps to the dog and they will soon realise that this is all that is available.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rocky2

mymo wrote: »
    What dry food are you feeding her?
    If its a small breed one it should be fine, but some of the others the nuts are too large for small breeds. Keep going the way you are just try not to give in, the dog will eventually eat.
    I add tuna/Mackerel/sardines in oil to the food about once a week as my dogs love it (1 can between 2 dogs and 2 cats). I also add leftover veg from dinner sometimes(not too much spuds but other veg they love), mashed up and well mixed with the nuts. I do this ramdom days and some weeks not at all so dogs don't expect it now.
    Don't feed any treats in between meals, and try 3 meals a day for now if you can, just take it up in between.

Hello,

I have tried so many brands,Burns,hills etc.

I am currently using 'Barking Heads',I got it as a sample and she seems to like it.

I am starting to have more success,just being stricter.

Thank you everyone for all your replies,I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement