Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 118

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Who do people fancy in this weekends UFC? I really fancy Edgar/Penn to go the distance at 5/4 with Paddy Power. I just stuck 20euro on it online myself. I'd normally bet a lot more on it as I think it's a super price but I'm on such a stink run of luck my confidence is completely shattered.

Edgar to win on points 9/2 or BJ on points at 11/4 are tempting prices too if anyone is confident of the winner. I can't call it myself but can't see either man finishing the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who do people fancy in this weekends UFC? I really fancy Edgar/Penn to go the distance at 5/4 with Paddy Power. I just stuck 20euro on it online myself. I'd normally bet a lot more on it as I think it's a super price but I'm on such a stink run of luck my confidence is completely shattered.

Edgar to win on points 9/2 or BJ on points at 11/4 are tempting prices too if anyone is confident of the winner. I can't call it myself but can't see either man finishing the other.

I see BJ TKOing Edgar here very easily....actually 5/4 is bad value I think. BJ is so so good, the last fight was just a once off..BJ wins this easily. (And I hate the guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jolsen

I couldn't see Penn not winning that fight myself. You would be better off lumping onto Couture first round win, it's a joke of a fight with Toney.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Time will tell folks, it wouldn't be the first time my predictions have been miles out and it won't be the last. MMA betting is notoriously volatile to bet on anyway as there are too many ways to get caught, that's why I hate backing short priced favourites, got stung a few times.
    If anyone does a few bets for this, stick them up here and good luck to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

think 5/2 about edgar is brilliant value and the 9/2 points looks
    better again as its the only way he is gonna beat penn.
    I can't for the life of me see how they price up penn at 1/4.
    Personally, i don't know what penn is going to so differently
    to enable him to beat edgar easily?
    Edgar is just very fast and so elusive that i just cannot
    see it being much easier this time for penn
    for me its hard to call so it's value im going for but
    i think whatever happens itll be a points win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Penn wasn't himself in the last fight, and he was still very close.

Penn quite easily by KO, imo.

• Advertisement

i don't think most of ye are giving edgar any credit for his last win expecting
    bj to beat him easily and saying that he had a bad night.

if edgar employs the same tactics then how is bj going to beat
    him easily?
    He made bj look slow in the first fight and even if bj is better this
    time, will he be that much faster?
    will he be able to take edgar down?
    will he be able to outstrike edgar?
    every aspect of edgars game was better in that first fight.
    He will just have to be faster to the punch over 5 rounds
    in order to beat edgar because imo i think it's the only
    way he can beat him.
    Id say edgars tactics will surely be the same so lets see
    how much better bj is this time.
    I for one cannot wait for this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

callaway92 wrote: »
    I see BJ TKOing Edgar here very easily....actually 5/4 is bad value I think. BJ is so so good, the last fight was just a once off..BJ wins this easily. (And I hate the guy)

like the once off against GSP too? :confused:
    jolsen wrote: »
    I couldn't see Penn not winning that fight myself. You would be better off lumping onto Couture first round win, it's a joke of a fight with Toney.

I think Randy will toy around with Toney for a couple of rounds before finishing him off....either that or TOney will fade fast probably by 2nd round.

Agree with mailburner...far too many discounting the last fight as Penn losing it rather than Edgar winning it.

The Edgar/Penn fight could very well play out the same as the first fight with either man capable of taking a close split decision. Edgar will not finish Penn for sure, and Edgar moves so much he's really hard to nail with big shots. Because of this it's hard for me to see Penn KOing him, he could however catch him on the ground with something if it goes that direction(which I doubt).

I've been looking at the odds for Toney and although I hope he doesn't win(loud mouth slabber) but his odds are nearly worth taking if he does manage to get a result.

We know Dana White doesn't give anyone an easy road into the ufc(eg kimbo) and Randy is 1 of the best ever....but if he tries to stand and punch with JT he could get wiped out.

I don't believe JT has a snowball's chance of winning by sub or on points and he is 6/1(PP) to win by KO. He is also 11/1 for KO of the night which looks decent. Penn/Edgar will not have a KO, Florian/Maynard/Maia/Diaz from the main card are not exactly KO punchers and looking at the rest of the card no1else really is. As a 2nd bet on KO of night I'd be looking at Mike Pierce on the undercard are 16s

think pierce is also a good shout at decent odds for ko of the nite
    Gave fitch a right scare towards the end of their fight.
    don't see how the likes of edgar/penn diaz/davis
    florian/maynard or even couture/toney having
    a ko of the nite.

toney may as well be 20s as far as i can see.
    unless randy stands still in front of him i think
    its a foregone conclusion.
    Think its an absolute joke of a fight and putting
    toney in with randy will make him look very bad
    and i think in time we'll be looking at another
    kimbo slice though maybe not quite that bad.

so far ive just stuck 20 on edgar points at 9/2

• Advertisement

I'm probably gonna stay away from backing Toney is any bet after having read about the weigh in's :D
    What happened to all the hard work? We heard James Toney had gotten himself into shape. You can crow about being in the best condition of your life but the scale doesn't lie. Toney stepped on stage Friday at the UFC 118 weigh-in and checked in at a ridiculous 237 pounds. That matches his heaviest weight ever as a boxer. It's 20 pounds heavier than his last boxing match just 11 months ago against Matthew Greer. Keep in mind, Toney spent most of his boxing career between 160-175 pounds. At barely 6-feet tall, 237 pounds is a lot to carry.

He looks a mess in the pic's.....arse hanging out too :rolleyes:

He looks a mess in the pic's.....arse hanging out too rolleyes.gif
    It's a cunning plan to lower his centre of gravity to prevent takedowns.

To hell with learning to sprawl, eat some cake Toney....brilliant!

This matchup is nothing short of disgracful, it's the indulgent whims of that prick Dana White. The boxing equivalent would be something like Hatton against Kenflo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭matt1958

http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/ufc/free_picks/

A bit more reading for ye before you decide..

FOLKS

If anyone is interested in joining a fantasy UFC league goto the MMA forum and check out the thread. I think there are a few drop outs after tonights event.

Also may help you for future betting as you might do some more reason for your fantasy picks

jolsen wrote: »
    This matchup is nothing short of disgracful, it's the indulgent whims of that prick Dana White.

Don't be ridiculous. Firstly a fight like this was ALWAYS going to happen. If this fight was not happening we would always have the MMA vs Boxing dispute. I know some boxers have crossed over, but this is style verus style tonight.

If Dana & UFC were not putting on this fight then you'd bet your last quid SF or someone would. SF already have a reputation for these 'marquee' type(The 49 year old ex NFL player who I cant rmember his name) fights to draw a crowd, so this way the UFC steal in and get the jjob done.

Plus JT chased DW all over the place and tortured him to give him a fight....DW probably just got ****ed off having JT pop up behind him while he was doing interviews

for an interest

UFC 118 James Toney v Randy Couture
    29-08-2010 03:30
    Match Betting
    Randy Couture @ 1/7
    UFC 118 Andre Winner v Nik Lentz
    29-08-2010 02:00
    Match Betting
    Andre Winner @ 4/6
    UFC 118 Greg Soto v Nick Osipczak
    29-08-2010 02:00
    Match Betting
    Nick Osipczak @ 4/7
    UFC 118 Gray Maynard v Kenny Florian
    29-08-2010 03:00
    Match Betting
    Gray Maynard @ 6/5

Accumulator (4)
    1 line at €5.00 per line
    Total stake for this bet: €5.00
    Potential returns: €32.93
    No: O/20205062/0003307

good luck....not in the fantasy league though ;)

posted following in my log(to keep my bets together)

£4 Diaz/Davis going the distance 11/8
    £4 Maynard/Ken Flo going the distance 8/11
    £2 double : Edgar 9/4 & Maynard 6/5

I would have liked to do a double on the fights going the distance but PP won't allow it :mad:

Devastator wrote: »

I would have liked to do a double on the fights going the distance but PP won't allow it :mad:

it's a pain in the ass alright not being able to double some of these
    bets even though they are not actually related.
    if you ring them up they will place the bet for you but it wont
    show up in your betting history what the actual bet was.
    I do hate ringing them up when its only a few euro i want to bet though.
    can never understand why someone for example cant double
    edgar to win with diaz/davis to go the distance.
    that just annoys me

yeah, must be something wrong with their website, same thing happens in football. I've tried to mix up bets and it won't allow to put them together(eg team to win/player to be booked).

Gettin close to pre lim time now....:D

As a 2nd bet on KO of night I'd be looking at Mike Pierce on the undercard are 16s
    mailburner wrote: »

Money...
    saved :D Pierce Kimura Rd3

• Advertisement

Total domination from Edgar so far...

matt1958 wrote: »
    Total domination from Edgar so far...

Blows him away 50-45 on all scorecards.. Might of even finished BJ's career at 155..

well that was nearly 100%....coming in at 66% :confused:;)

Diaz finished Davis with 1m15secs or so of last round
    Maynard/Florian went the distance
    Edgar and Maynard both won

I also put a lil on a pre lim fight(in log) which came in so nicely nicely :D
    matt1958 wrote: »
    Blows him away 50-45 on all scorecards.. Might of even finished BJ's career at 155..

Could even see him take a holiday for a while. He looked like he had no fight in him tonight

Don't be ridiculous. Firstly a fight like this was ALWAYS going to happen. If this fight was not happening we would always have the MMA vs Boxing dispute. I know some boxers have crossed over, but this is style verus style tonight.

If Dana & UFC were not putting on this fight then you'd bet your last quid SF or someone would. SF already have a reputation for these 'marquee' type(The 49 year old ex NFL player who I cant rmember his name) fights to draw a crowd, so this way the UFC steal in and get the jjob done.

Plus JT chased DW all over the place and tortured him to give him a fight....DW probably just got ****ed off having JT pop up behind him while he was doing interviews

IMO the MMA vs Boxing dispute is a non issue, they're different sports which share some similar skillsets it's like comparing rugby with American football.

The UFC is the premier mma organisation and built this reputation in part to matching up the best mma fighters against each other. Toney is nothing more than a solid jorneyman boxer whose best days are behind him and has no reason fighting in the UFC. These joke fights belong in the smaller shows if at all.

The fight went as expected although Toney lasted about a minute longer than I thought he would.

Gave fitch a right scare towards the end of their fight.
    don't see how the likes of edgar/penn diaz/davis
    florian/maynard or even couture/toney having
    a ko of the nite.

toney may as well be 20s as far as i can see.
    unless randy stands still in front of him i think
    its a foregone conclusion.
    Think its an absolute joke of a fight and putting
    toney in with randy will make him look very bad
    and i think in time we'll be looking at another
    kimbo slice though maybe not quite that bad.

so far ive just stuck 20 on edgar points at 9/2

happy days
    makes up for the last two ufcs which i got badly wrong
    what a price on edgar in all fairness.
    the same bj turned up
    i couldnt believe i was seeing the same fighter as the last time with bj.

Edgar saved my bacon this weekend, thanks to him just a fiver down now as opposed to 50. He totally outclassed Penn, amazing to see. I get the impression Penn has too many yes men in his camp, his corner was a disgrace and zero help whatsoever. He needed someone to smack him in the face after the second round and tell him he was getting dominated. They should have told him to look for the takedown and see if he could get the upperhand there. I know he tried this once or twice himself and seemed to have a bit more success than in the striking but it wasn't his corner that advised him to do so. Basically they were zero help to him the last night.
    I'd love to see him do a full 2 or 3month camp away from Hilo alltogether and see how he does. In fairness he's still a class fighter, it's just that Edgar is too. Edgar would be a beast in the WEC alltogether.

Toney looked like he just wanted the paycheck, had no clue of any description what to do. Although he lasted way longer than I expected once he went down.

What is it with Florian, everytime he hears the word title or fights for a title he completely changes his style and loses. He's at his best when aggressive and attacking with kicks etc. I found that fight very frustrating to watch, although this is probably because I'm not a big fan of Maynard at all.

happy days
    makes up for the last two ufcs which i got badly wrong
    what a price on edgar in all fairness.
    the same bj turned up
    i couldnt believe i was seeing the same fighter as the last time with bj.

You're the man, pity Dustin Johnson didn't oblige as well in the golf(pity for me anyway :()

Advertisement