Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to capture data from a scope..?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Any idea how I can capture data (current) from a scope? I got a tektronics 2002 model but it has only rs232, and I cant get it hooked up to my laptop.

I tried to use the tektronics s/w and a usb -> rs232 adapter but no joy.

is there any other way,,?

cheers..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Are you sure you have the right RS232 cable?

Check the manual to see if you need a straight-through or a crossover type.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

Agreed with electronEng,
    the data coming out will be visible using hyperterminal.
    you can then copy and paste the hyperterminal session into excel or the likes.
    alternatively look to hyper terminal command for auto logging to file.
    should just be raw numbers/ possibly hex.
    the manual will indicate the data format e.g. 9600 8bit no parity 1 stop bit. big or little endian.
    which is configureable in hyper terminal.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Some good suggestions above. Get it working on a pc with a h/w serial port first, before trying the USB to rs233 converter.

What software are you using? You will have to configure the scope to use it, as tek scopes can output various data types, even bitmap files over the rs232.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

got a win 2k pc with a real rs232 set up, gonna give it a lash with that folks.

cheers.

dilbert, its a labview vi for tek scopes. looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

got a win 2k pc with a real rs232 set up, gonna give it a lash with that folks.

cheers.

dilbert, its a labview vi for tek scopes. looks good.

Does the documentation with the VI give you the format that the Data is needed in? Cause you'll need to manually set this up on the scope...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Does the documentation with the VI give you the format that the Data is needed in? Cause you'll need to manually set this up on the scope...

Hello Dilbert

i got it working at last...

but not sure if it can do what i want it to do..!

here are the two apps i can use

http://www.tek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8

I got wavestar now working, but not sure if it actually captures data in real time, ie volts over time., just got it going at 8pm today

I want to use a resistor on my breadboard to calculate current used up by my load device (atmega 328)., it is meant to save data into ms word, which would be good.

what do you think?

I tried to install openchoice but it wouldn't work but may try again..

god, hair coming out of my trying to get that scope working !

actually, you can get this also (which i would love, as i am good with labview)

http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/psdetails.lotr?ct=PS&ci=13553&cs=psu&lc=EN

but it doesn't seem to work with tds 2002 or tds 200 scopes :(:(

Advertisement