Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu speeds

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Cpu speeds
    I got an Nvidia gtx465 card, 6gb ram, win7 64bit edition.
    Running after effects programme shows only 4gb ram, and the rendering is pretty slow.
    Help from anybody using the same or similiar set-up.
    How do i get the most of the configuration?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Is it the 64 bit version of After Effects (CS5)?....a 64 bit version of windows alone isnt enough, to get the most out of it you need to use a 64 bit application to use all your ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bespin6

Hello,
    I'm working on Cs4, 64bit, thanks

Thats your problem :)

Sorry, i don't follow.
    Help me out, please.

Read what I posted above. You're using CS4 which is a 32-bit application, thats the problem. Your copy of Windows is 64-bit but After Effects CS4 is still only 32-bit, so it has the same limitations as if you had a 32bit OS.

If you want to use more then 3.2 gigs of ram you need to use a 64-bit application. CS4 may show 4 gigs or ram, some 32-bit applications may even show up the 6 gig of ram you have installed however it can only utilise 3.2 gigs. Theres no fix for this, its just the limit of 32-bit addressing.

CS5 is 64-bit so if you want to use all 6 gig of your ram you will have to use After Effects CS5. For the record CS5 has some really nice features and is well worth the upgrade. The only drawback I found after upgrading is a lot of plugins I had no longer work (you will also need 64-bit plugins to work with CS5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Splinters is right, you need the 64-bit version to utilise all your RAM

Thanks Splinters,
    Do you know if i'll need more ram to run CS5, or will the 6gb i have do?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

6gb should be plenty.

Yep 6 gig will do the trick nicely. Im assuming if you're doing stuff in After Effects you're familiar with Andrew Kramer and his site videocopilot.net. Ive heard him mention the spec of his machine and Im almost sure he has 12 gig of ram in his main workhorse. Of course hes doing quite high end work so depending on your needs you could still benefit from more. The processor in your machine shouldnt be overlooked either as its one of the largest speed factors with most video related applications (editing, compositing, 3d modelling, animation etc). Judging by the rest of your spec Im gonna guess the CPU is quite high end too, probably an i7. If not then thats definately the way to go, i7's are lightning fast for video work. Hope that all helps anyway.

Hello Splinters,
    Thanks again for your help,
    Yeah, got the i7 920, and been keeping up to date with Andrew Kramers website. Cheers. Talk soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement