Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMORPG Lawsuit: "They Addicted Me - I Lost 20,000 Hours"

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭

The developers of MMORPG Lineage II are facing a lawsuit accusing them of negligence by failing to warn a stupid man that he could become addicted to the game, which he blames for making him “unable to function independently” and costing him 20,000 hours of his sad life.

The plaintiff in the case, an American resident of Hawaii, alleges he became addicted to Lineage II, squandering 20,000 hours playing the game between 2004-2009.
    So afflicted was he that he became “unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends,” he claims.
    This was, he says, a direct result of the fact that maker NCsoft “acted negligently in failing to warn or instruct or adequately warn or instruct plaintiff and other players of Lineage II of its dangerous and defective characteristics, and of the safe and proper method of using the game.”
    He maintains he would never have begun playing the game had he known it was so addictive. He is seeking unspecified monetary damages.
    Korean game maker NCsoft released the game in 2003 as a sequel to Lineage, a highly successful fantasy MMORPG much esteemed for its sexy dark elves. The sequel boasted over 600,000 subscribers at its peak, and still maintains a substantial following.
    Lineage II was notorious even amongst MMORPG circles for having an exceptionally high “grind” factor, requiring vast investments of time in order to reach the higher levels.
    The judge presiding has refused to dismiss the claims, although it is not clear whether the suit will make it to trial. NCsoft for its part has demanded the court dismiss the case.
    Coming from the nation that pioneered the “hot things may burn you” and "Do not stop chainsaw blade between you legs" warning labels, all bets are off as to whether the case will go forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So afflicted was he that he became “unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends,” he claims.

Yet he has the ability to sue?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Varik wrote: »

This affliction is also known as 'being-a-lazy-prick-itus'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've suffered with it all through college. Oddly enough, it cleared up once I got a job...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I suffer a relapse at around 6pm Monday-Friday, and all through the weekends. Its no laughing matter i'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Can't remember whose (gaming industry) blog I was reading on this, but they were making the point that this is perhaps a little different to say a drunk going in to buy alcohol where the shop assistant doesnt know how much the person is buying. He was saying that MMO companies know when people are addicted (he had some calc suggesting that the suit was averaging 10hrs a day playtime). Because of this they may have more culpability than other type cases we've seen against McDonalds for making people fat (though he didnt think this case would be successful in any case).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

While the guy has only himself to blame for his idiocy, it does show that there should be a time limit to the amount of time one person can play a game like that per day. Some people are easily addicted, so why not just have a reasonable time limit incorporated into the game. In the long run you avoid all these cases that give your company a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Da Bounca wrote: »
    While the guy has only himself to blame for his idiocy, it does show that there should be a time limit to the amount of time one person can play a game like that per day. Some people are easily addicted, so why not just have a reasonable time limit incorporated into the game. In the long run you avoid all these cases that give your company a bad name.

A time limit when you're paying a monthly subscription is kind of stupid if the price was not also reduced, which it wouldn't as that would make companies less money. They should just put a warning on the game, in addition to that rest for 15 every hour thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Varik wrote: »

Ha ha reminds me of a south park episode.

Seriously though, a bit of cop-on goes a long way too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually known as parent control and set by accessing the account maintaince (don't know if it is available in Lineage 2 though)...

At the end of the day your suggestion would be the same as saying that I could only buy 4 pints at the bar because I might be an alcoholic. You're right, I might be but I'm an adult and have to take responsibility for my own actions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I always wondered why they dont use this for detecting gold farming, as there they just use an account in shifts and pass it onto the next person working after them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It is going to trial anyway.

http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/CyberCorner/Story.aspx?id=1271480

Wonder if there might be any precedents set about restricting game time beyond a certain point.
    But some people might just want to spend all their time on it, for one reason or another.

Advertisement