Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of going to College

Options
  • 24-08-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi I have got my course in college which I wanted and will be starting in September. I will qualify for the Back to Education Allowance which is about 196 a week plus 500 euros once off payment.

My query is can anyone tell me how much will books photocoping etc. cost for the 1st year at college I know it will probably depend on the course but just a rough estimate. Also I will be driving 90 miles a day and wonder if Back to education pay travel allowance. The course is 5 days a week & if one of my kids are sick & have to take a day off will I be docked in my payment.

Sorry about all the questions but I am really interested in this course & don't want to drop out half way throught the year if I can't afford it.:eek:
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you look at your college's website, they should have a cost of living indicator for students. The library will have most of the books you need, you don't need to buy most of them.
    There is no travel allowance.
    You will not be docked payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Hi I have got my course in college which I wanted and will be starting in September. I will qualify for the Back to Education Allowance which is about 196 a week plus 500 euros once off payment.

My query is can anyone tell me how much will books photocoping etc. cost for the 1st year at college I know it will probably depend on the course but just a rough estimate. Also I will be driving 90 miles a day and wonder if Back to education pay travel allowance. The course is 5 days a week & if one of my kids are sick & have to take a day off will I be docked in my payment.

Sorry about all the questions but I am really interested in this course & don't want to drop out half way throught the year if I can't afford it.:eek:
    Thanks

You should also apply to have your registration fees paid. The form is available at www.studentfinance.ie - its the same form as the maintenance grant form

Someone reccomended to me the other day - don't buy core texts - photocopy the entire thing in the college (lot cheaper) or borrow from the library

I don't think the BTEA dock payment (but I may be wrong)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement