Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Block shed - how do I calculate how many blocks I need?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

I know its probably painfully simple but I can't figure this out at all.

I want to see how many blocks (cavity) I would need for a shed with following measurements;

17 ft Wide
    10 ft High
    26 ft Long

Also, would anyone have a rough idea of what price cavity blocks are?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You will need about 800 blocks.

The calculation is alowing for 13 courses of blocks, however this is too high in myopinion, 11 or 12 if you want to match it with the house is more than enough.

Also, excluded in the calculation which strictly speaking 745 blocks are the door ops and any windows, also i havnt made a calculation for any gables or footings

If one course is enough for footings you will need 4 inch blocks on their flat.. so thats 114 x 4" solids

so.. 800 9 inch cavity at 92 cent is 736 euro plus 45 euro for the 4" solids

So, in essance about 800 euro for blocks and about 20 bags of cement at 4 euro which is 80 euro..

After buying lintels and cills and some soap bars you wont have much change from 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Snyper thanks a mill for the reply, that's brilliant & gives me something to work from :)

Do you mind me asking, is there any cheaper block type than the cavity block?
    This is a tight budget build :o

Thankfully there is an existing solid precast concrete foundation in place (there was 2 small sheds there originally, they're being rebuilt into one) so at least that's less expenditure required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

could u not just knock the seperating wall between the two existing sheds. That would be far far cheaper if possible than replacing the entire lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Sorry galwaydude I should've specified, there was 2 shed there originally but they were knocked down, only the foundation remains.

Advertisement