Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Goodshape wrote: »
    7" Android 2.2 Tablet.

Could be one for the christmas list!

The weaknesses of the Android Appstore when matched up to the iOS Appstore really come home to roost when you talk tablets. I firmly believe Android is the future for Tablets, but I think we are talking 2012 onwards, once they sort out issues like the GPU splintering that requires devs to code diff versions of 3D games for the different GPUs being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Toshiba getting in on the act too. SmartPad. Think Android will suit these products/gadgets better, versatility etc.
    Looking forward to hear how much Samsung will see the Tab for.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Just read the reports on it today and checked out the official website http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/. Looks cool but I hope to God the price is not what Expansys are looking for and It's just a premium they are putting on it. http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=201135 . Otherwise I reckon its out of my range.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Just read the reports on it today and checked out the official website http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/. Looks cool but I hope to God the price is not what Expansys are looking for and It's just a premium they are putting on it. http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=201135 . Otherwise I reckon its out of my range.

Jesus thats expensive. It has no chance against the iPad at that price. It needs to be something like Eur299 to be really worth it. I imagine they will have a 10inch version which could then be Eur399 and then the iPad would have serious competition. Still looks cool on the engadget preview:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-preview/

jeromeof wrote: »
    Jesus thats expensive. It has no chance against the iPad at that price. It needs to be something like Eur299 to be really worth it. I imagine they will have a 10inch version which could then be Eur399 and then the iPad would have serious competition. Still looks cool on the engadget preview:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-preview/

+1. No chance at anything over €500. I'd agree €299 would be a good price point.
    Engadget now saying 699 - 799. Crazy. http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-reported-to-retail-at-699-and-799-in-europe/

• Advertisement

Actually thinking this is PR hype and in two weeks they'll be announced at an amazing 399

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

+1. No chance at anything over €500. I'd agree €299 would be a good price point.
    Engadget now saying 699 - 799. Crazy. http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-reported-to-retail-at-699-and-799-in-europe/
    I reckon I'd pay €4-500 because of the fact it has a 3G antenna. Less if it was wifi only.

Toshiba's version, no price announced, details - http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/17599-upcoming-toshiba-tech/

Update - according to PCWorld website Wifi only version for €399.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Inquitus wrote: »
    The weaknesses of the Android Appstore when matched up to the iOS Appstore really come home to roost when you talk tablets. I firmly believe Android is the future for Tablets, but I think we are talking 2012 onwards, once they sort out issues like the GPU splintering that requires devs to code diff versions of 3D games for the different GPUs being used.

completely agree. Actually feel the same about android phones. The phones are technically superior to the Apple stuff, but the simple fact is that the apps are WAY behind the Apple App Store in every genre. The fact that apple app devs can concentrate on known specs means the apps will always come out quicker and be more polished.

I have the HTC Hero, and my next phone will probably be another Android device, but if I was going to get a tablet I wouldn't, at the moment, look beyond the iPad. In fact, i am currently trying to justify spending €300 on the 16GB version of the iPad having played around with my brother's iPad a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 keithogixer

Goodshape wrote: »
    7" Android 2.2 Tablet.

New teaser :

Could be one for the christmas list!

Jesus I'm fed up hearing about these Android phones. What's the problem with the Android phones and tabs? well the Android phone apps are all ****e and 99% American. At least with apple apps there's a huge amount of Irish apps. Does the android have a facility comparative to ITunes? NO. Does the android have a chip to put into your runners when you are training NO. Does the ****e American apps compare to the 100,000 that applace have NO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jesus I'm fed up hearing about these Android phones.
    Your fed up hearing about Android phones... on the Android forum? Eh. Ok.

What's the problem with the Android phones and tabs? well the Android phone apps are all ****e and 99% American. At least with apple apps there's a huge amount of Irish apps. Does the android have a facility comparative to ITunes? NO. Does the android have a chip to put into your runners when you are training NO. Does the ****e American apps compare to the 100,000 that applace have NO...
    Why so angry? Apple has the better AppStore, that's no secret and hardly even a point of contention. Even so, I've very rarely not found what I've needed on the Android Market. It's becoming very comparable imo.

Also, not being tied to iTunes is a huge plus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Does the android have a facility comparative to ITunes? NO. .

Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Jesus I'm fed up hearing about these Android phones. What's the problem with the Android phones and tabs? well the Android phone apps are all ****e and 99% American. At least with apple apps there's a huge amount of Irish apps. Does the android have a facility comparative to ITunes? NO. Does the android have a chip to put into your runners when you are training NO. Does the ****e American apps compare to the 100,000 that applace have NO...

Also does andorid do Flash No.....oh wait sorry I've gotten my phones mixed up again haven't I.

Oh and thank christ for the lack of itunes crap. I can easily plug my phone into any of the 3 -4 computers I use on an average day and no have to worry about fully resyncing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Samsung Galaxy Tab lands in Ireland. Link - siliconrepublic.com.

Anyone have a hands on review?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Samsung Galaxy Tab lands in Ireland. Link - siliconrepublic.com.

Anyone have a hands on review?

Techradar.com (my geek site of choice) has a very detailed very - not overly positive mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've only held the dummy one in a store, can't wait to have a play with the real things. The dummy feels very heavy.

Thanks crapmanjoe. Had a read through the review and it wasn't very positive at all. Would still like to have a play around with one anyway.

I think I'll wait to see what other Manufactures come out with over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thanks crapmanjoe. Had a read through the review and it wasn't very positive at all. Would still like to have a play around with one anyway.

I think I'll wait to see what other Manufactures come out with over the next couple of months.

Lots of rumours about HTC having a tablet out in Q1 next year running Android 3.0 hitting the techsites the last few days.

The Galaxy Tab looks good but way overpriced imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

truthfully at this point I think a cheap tablet like the archos 101 (if it is in any way decent) is the way to go if you really want to get one now as it means when better tablets come out next year you won't be left dissapointed having spent so much on the galaxy tab.

Wait for CES 2011 on the start of january as chances are this is where a lot of vendors will launch their wears and you will have a much better idea of what will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Wasn't that impressed with the 101. It's nice enough, but resistive screen is frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

The 101 got a capacitive screen or at least that is what all the reviews say.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Writing this from a tab :pac:

Seems like a nice device, but overpriced. Wouldnt spend my own money on it (got it from work). First thing i tried was putting it in my pocket. It fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

fransdev wrote: »
    The 101 got a capacitive screen or at least that is what all the reviews say.;)

I must be thinking of the other one. Was an Archos 7, mayhaps? Definitely a resistive screen on that.

I was looking at the Tab again, particularly against the Archos 101. I've read the the US version of the Tab has voice calling disabled.

Does anyone know if this can be enabled via software or maybe a firmware update? Or is it disabled via hardware?

Thanks

Advertisement