Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Broadband Interference

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

We have a HKC alarm that was installed about 12 years ago by a very reputable alarm company. The keypad looks the same as the new Hkc alarms. We also have eircom broadband. that gives a speed of 2.8mb/s when the router is connected to the telephone bare wires coming in with nothing else connected but when it goes through the eircom master socket the speed drops to .87 mb/s there are three phones and the alarm connected to the phone line. the alarm company did try a filter on the alarm panel but that made no difference so that was removed. every phone has filters in place and the router is connected to the master socket.eircom say its the alarm thats causing the interference. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Do you know what type filter they fitted ?

This is the best one to use but there is more than likely an issue with the line if that is the speed your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

Is the problem still there when the 3 phones are connected or only when the 3 phones and alarm are connected?
    You could try unplugging all the phones and test the speed of the broadband then with the alarm still connected or the other way around alarm disconnected and the 3 phones connected and see what happens.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Main line should be going straight to the alarm trough a filter & then back to the other points.
    What to do is disconnect all lines & the alarm. When you have good speeds connect the incoming line onto the cable going to the alarm & connect the return pair from the alarm to the router. (ensure the 2 pairs at the alarm are joined trough sending the line back down)
    If speed has dropped the cable is the problem.
    If speed is still good reconnect cables into alarm & check speed again.
    If speed has dropped connect a filter to the alarm & try again.
    If speed is still good this has eliminated the alarm as the problem.
    Connect each other phone socket one by one checking the spped after each.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

it goes to the master socket from the pole that pair are connected to the back connections of the socket then a pair go to the alarm from the front of the socket another back from the alarm to the socket then a pair connects all the extensions the resistors marked alarm are cut of the master socket but the alarm guy that came out for maintenance check said they dont remove the resistors

altor wrote: »
    Do you know what type filter they fitted ?

This is the best one to use but there is more than likely an issue with the line if that is the speed your getting.

Thats the filter they used alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would always wire to the alarm panel first then back to master socket.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Thats the filter they used alright

It is more than likely an issue with your phone line in the house. The best way to sort it is by process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If the alarm is connected to the alarm in/out at the back of the master socket then the resistors are meant to be removed.

it goes to the master socket from the pole that pair are connected to the back connections of the socket then a pair go to the alarm from the front of the socket another back from the alarm to the socket then a pair connects all the extensions the resistors marked alarm are cut of the master socket but the alarm guy that came out for maintenance check said they dont remove the resistors

Is the alarm not given priority over the other phones ?

Is the alarm not given priority over the other phones ?

It does get priority the master socket allows it to and it's been tested just yesterday as there was maintenance call yesterday. The alarm uses line seizure.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »

Eircom DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT. They recommend it goes to the master socket first that means they can remove the cover of the master socket and connect a telephone into the socket in the back of the master socket and then they can determine whether if you're fault if you have one on your line is outside the house or inside your house

To get priority it needs to be either connected to the cable coming from the pole in the house, then into the alarm, then back to the house phones.

If there is a Eircom socket the main line from the pole again in the house is connected into L1 L2 on the back of the socket. It is then crimped into the front of the Eircom socket with the resistors broken out.

If you do have a problem with the alarm you can remove the front socket and connect a phone in the front of the back socket to test the line.

Is this the way it is done for you ?

Eircom DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT. They recommend it goes to the master socket first that means they can remove the cover of the master socket and connect a telephone into the socket in the back of the master socket and then they can determine whether if you're fault if you have one on your line is outside the house or inside your house

That is what koolkid meant. All line priority is done this way depending on the way it is cabled.

I put in the socket and the way you mentioned is how I did it. I already have tested it on the L1 L2 and thats how my BB went up to 2.8mb/s

I put in the socket and the way you mentioned is how I did it. I already have tested it on the L1 L2 and thats how my BB went up to 2.8mb/s

The other phones will be connected to the L1 and L2 on the front face. If you disconnect the other phones and just have the one socket in the hall plus alarm on do you still get the 2.8mb/s ?

koolkid wrote: »

This is what he said. I said I wired it so the main pair go to the master socket first and then to the alarm. He said he goes to alarm first then to the socket.I've done the opposite to what he said.

This is what he said. I said I wired it so the main pair go to the master socket first and then to the alarm. He said he goes to alarm first then to the socket.I've done the opposite to what he said.

That is what he meant. Phone priority means to the alarm then to the other phones. Same with the way it is to your master socket goes dead if the alarm goes off.

Why the alarm must have priority is simple.
    If your phone in the hall has the phoneline before the alarm all anyone has to do is break in & within 20 seconds (or more if they use an entry zone) take that phone off the hook. The alarm will not be able to dial out & your rmonitoring is rendered useless. I would never leave a system without it having line seizure.

The other phones will be connected to the L1 and L2 on the front face. If you disconnect the other phones and just have the one socket in the hall plus alarm on do you still get the 2.8mb/s ?

I just tried disconnecting the wire going from the master socket to the extension and the speed has gone back to 2.8mb/s The extension pair goes from the socket to plastic box with the push in connectors and the three wire are connected to this. if I were to rewire the three phones that they are linked of each other would this fix the problem permanently
    in your opinion

I just tried disconnecting the wire going from the master socket to the extension and the speed has gone back to 2.8mb/s The extension pair goes from the socket to plastic box with the push in connectors and the three wire are connected to this. if I were to rewire the three phones that they are linked of each other would this fix the problem permanently
    in your opinion

Thats the problem so. You could connect one at a time to find the faulty cable.

• Advertisement

I rewire the extensions to have them wire in series like eircom recommend.
    The house just has three sockets now and each socket is an eircom master socket. The broadband works perfectly now. Thanks very much.

I found this on the reci website. Not sure if you have seen it before but its very informative.

http://reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

I rewire the extensions to have them wire in series like eircom recommend.
    The house just has three sockets now and each socket is an eircom master socket. The broadband works perfectly now. Thanks very much.

I found this on the reci website. Not sure if you have seen it before but its very informative.

http://reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Your welcome, always happy to help.
    Its a shame the alarm engineer who was doing the splitter for you did not check this out for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There should always be a broadband splitter in place if there is broadband DSL on the same line.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    There should always be a broadband splitter in place if there is broadband DSL on the same line.

Correct, the broadband can interfere with the dialer on the alarm ringing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It will also reduce your broadband speed

Advertisement